Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
This is going to be the Servo side of the mounts....... I need 3, so I'm tack welding 3 pieces together be before I start the machine work...... I like to model my parts like this, print it out 1:1 and glue it right to the work piece..... My holes always line up this way....
clearpath mount.JPG
NEMA 34
clearpath mount d.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this and doing this build thread.

I was not aware of this controller. I see it has a ton of I/O compared to nearly all other hobby CNC offers out there. I'll be extremely interested to see what all you can hook up using this I/O

Thanks for sharing this and doing this build thread.

I was not aware of this controller. I see it has a ton of I/O compared to nearly all other hobby CNC offers out there. I'll be extremely interested to see what all you can hook up using this I/O

Thank you for being so interested in my project.....

Now its time to make the Bridgeport's end of the servo mounts.... This is what I've come up with.... It's time for some 4-jaw work...... It might get an aluminum or bronze (depending on my current floor scraps) insert in the middle to press against the ball screw bearing race....
df.JPG
I'm just going to weld a piece of square tubing in the middle of these 2 plates with a hole milled in the bottom for working on the 1/2" shaft couplings that I will be making next.
fsd.JPG

Last edited:
The old cast aluminum ones are broken as usual..... Someone tightened it down till it went Click! and then back a quarter turn...20180706_223158.jpeg20180706_223206.jpeg

Last edited:
The center soft insert will be made from this 863 Bronze I have leftover, this is my favorite bronze alloy its very tough stuff. Yes I realize its way overkill. 863 bronze cuts like steel, crazy chips for a bronze alloy very easy cleanup...
20180709_031341.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished the Bridgeport ends of the servo mounts..... Time to cut some square tubing and do some tig welding.....
20180907_151358.jpg
I said I was going to use 863 Bronze for the insert but 863 Bronze is no fun to work with, I bought a piece 6061 DOM tubing for cheap....
20180907_151231.jpg

Back