Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
That sucks about your van, what kind of tools did you loose?

I have a bunch of stuff in storage up here left over from closing my power equipment shop. If there's anything you need that I have I'll make you a heck of a deal.

Nice work on the conversion BTW:encourage:

John

Finally some progress on this project!

I had to make another bearing cap for the X axis on the side with hand wheel still, If I turned the screw from the servo side it would push out the bearing and thread the screw out of the yoke.... Now with the new cap installed I can move the X axis without any issues.....

I made one of these but from the only thing I could find in the shop big enough 4140 scrap steel I got for free.....(This is not a picture of the part I made, I forgot to take a picture.)
20180706_223158.jpeg20180706_223206.jpeg

20180919_042719.jpg

All the the red circles have these caps the yellow circle on my machine does not have this cap or holes to install one so I had to drill and tap three 1/4-20 holes in the cast iron.....
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I have the Z axis servo mounted and with the 5:1 gearbox it has more than enough torque to lift the very heavy Bridgeport knee.... I am trying to calibrate the servos with the MSP software but I am having some problems with it. I have called Teknic support and those guys are awesome, really great people to talk to.... He gave me some ideas that I needed for troubleshooting, I am going to try some more tonight.

Last edited:
WOOOHOOO!!!!!!

The Z axis and the X axis are now calibrated, I had to try 5 different USB cables but I finally got it to work..... Now I need to make parts for the Y axis, run auto-tune on it and then calibrate the Masso controller, and make some mounts for npn stop switches.....

I'm getting really close to being able to run g-code on my 1960 J-Head lol.....

Last edited:
I am having a ton of fun with the Y axis, I need to make a spacer for the lead screw so it stops threading into the yoke and pushes the table instead....

Here is my solution for the Y axis issues.....

This is my lovejoy coupler pressed into a piece of aluminum with an 1/8" keyway on the other side, next is a steel spacer and then an 863 Bronze thrust washer....
20190817_125130.jpg20190817_125147.jpg

Bronze washer goes against the bearing
20190817_125204.jpg

And then the spacer
1566061933858.jpeg

and the lovejoy on the end...
1566061966615.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got the Y axis to finish auto-tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to go to walmart and buy the most expensive USB-A to USB-Mirco cable on the shelf $17 but it got the job done......

No longer need this laptop in my way..... :cool:

Working on the wiring and the NPN stops now.....

I'm hoping to be running g-code without a tool in the spindle by the midnight.....

Last edited:
Finally got the Y axis to finish auto-tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to go to walmart and buy the most expensive USB-A to USB-Mirco cable on the shelf $17 but it got the job done......

No longer need this laptop in my way..... :cool:

Working on the wiring and the NPN stops now.....

I'm hoping to be running g-code without a tool in the spindle by the midnight.....
Great to hear! The perverbial light at the end of the tunnel!

Bruce

Back