Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
Now I need to figure out this VFD....

I got the spindle to run from the Masso with the "M03 S" command but the VFD was making a pulsing sound and then the motor started to let the smoke out... Luckily I have another motor waiting.... Other than that I am able to move everything with the Masso now....

Last edited:
Wired up the first home switch and the Masso just works without any trouble... Flawlessly! Though it is a bit of fun setting it all up, the way they have alot of stuff in the menu is very strangely worded its almost like Engrish....

I have the spindle all figured out no more smoke..... I can start and stop it with the keyboard....

I have the X and Y NPN stop switches wired..... I'm still trying to figure out how I want the Z axis NPN stop mounted.....

Still cant get the Masso to zero the machine coordinates the right way it keeps setting it at the half way point which limits the movement from 10" to 5" huge problem....

Dude that $uck$....I Know that Exact same feeling! My only transportation for college and 2 full time jobs was stolen many moons ago that contained about 3k in personal worktools and another grand in school books. The lost tools really hurt but the books, man that was devestating....that was a ruff year! Anyway sorry to hear about that and im happy you at least found the van.

I had to pay $800 to get my stolen van out of impound.... I'm not that happy about it... It needs a battery, new locks, steering column, catalytic converters were cut off needs to be straight piped now but they didn't crash it luckily.....

Can we please stop talking about my stolen van in this thread, I'm trying to think about my CNC project and the 2,500sqft building I'm moving to soon.....

I'm trying to figure out how to get a forklift and a trailer or 2 forklifts, one at each building lol.... I already have a friend with a flatbed tow truck....

Last edited:
I have the building!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

10' overhead door :laughing:
Spent the last few days ripping down the previous renter's walls to make it work for my setup, Sadly its only 240V 3 phase :cussing::cussing:
20190909_223522.jpg

The small room in the corner is a bathroom that is going to have a shower soon.....

20190908_224921.jpg

I'm going to be able to park 3 trucks in here and have a descent sized machine shop soon and still have the other half of the building that I have no idea what to do with yet.....

Last edited:
I have the building!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

10' overhead door :laughing:
Spent the last few days ripping down the previous renter's walls to make it work for my setup, Sadly its only 240V 3 phase :cussing::cussing:
View attachment 301939

The small room in the corner is a bathroom that is going to have a shower soon.....

View attachment 301940

I'm going to be able to park 3 trucks in here and have a descent sized machine shop soon and still have the other half of the building that I have no idea what to do with yet.....
:big grin: with envy!

I enjoy the Masso controller but I just found a huge issue with the interface....

On the F1 screen in the middle there are 32 Inputs that can be changed to do all sorts of things.... 3 of them need to be home commands on my setup, and I am using NPN sensors for the home switches..... My NPN sensors are Normally Closed but if you ask Masso support how to run a NC switch they told me it wont work.... Then I noticed that next to the where it say Low in green there is an option next to it that says Invert and its set to NO by default and no matter how hard you look you will never find a way to edit that setting....... So I asked Masso support how to change it and they tell me to select the input and press the space bar...... WTF!?:face slap: This control is never mentioned anywhere in the GUI.....

Now I have my NC NPN sensors working.... :cool:

Last edited:
I enjoy the Masso controller but I just found a huge issue with the interface....

On the F1 screen in the middle there are 32 Inputs that can be changed to do all sorts of things.... 3 of them need to be home commands on my setup, and I am using NPN sensors for the home switches..... My NPN sensors are Normally Closed but if you ask Masso support how to run a NC switch they told me it wont work.... Then I noticed that next to the where it say Low in green there is an option next to it that says Invert and its set to NO by default and no matter how hard you look you will never find a way to edit that setting....... So I asked Masso support how to change it and they tell me to select the input and press the space bar...... WTF!?:face slap: This control is never mentioned anywhere in the GUI.....

Now I have my NC NPN sensors working.... :cool:

Normally users discover that feature when they slam their keyboard.

Back