Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
I enjoy the Masso controller but I just found a huge issue with the interface....

On the F1 screen in the middle there are 32 Inputs that can be changed to do all sorts of things.... 3 of them need to be home commands on my setup, and I am using NPN sensors for the home switches..... My NPN sensors are Normally Closed but if you ask Masso support how to run a NC switch they told me it wont work.... Then I noticed that next to the where it say Low in green there is an option next to it that says Invert and its set to NO by default and no matter how hard you look you will never find a way to edit that setting....... So I asked Masso support how to change it and they tell me to select the input and press the space bar...... WTF!?:face slap: This control is never mentioned anywhere in the GUI.....

Now I have my NC NPN sensors working.... :cool:
Seems intuitive to me . . . I figured it'd be more something like ATL CNTRL DELETE A-Z simultaneously.

I'm getting a problem with the Y axis, when i power up the Masso the Y axis runs a home command automatically but ignores the home switch and bends the mount to hell.... I asked Masso support about this problem, they told me to make a video of it to send them because they claim to have never seen this issue before..... lol

If you tell me it can't be broken I will find a way......

I just ordered a new set of knee gears mine are damaged and they skip on the way down soooo i'm going to tear everything back down again.....

Last edited:
What do you guys think I should do for lubrication on the gears? light/heavy grease or just way oil........? maybe something else.....?

Im going to take the one shot lube pump off the surface grinder and try to run some hoses to the ways while I'm at it.....
The suface grinder need new hoses they are all clogged up.....

Last edited:
Great write up on this build. I have learned a lot that I can apply to "someday" when I try to CNC my Tree 2UVR. The Tree has no access to the spindle for Z, Everyone has said that I do not want to use the knee for Z. I will be watching close to see how this works out for you.

I read through this thread and looks like you are doing a great job in spite of the various problems, just a normal build. o_O

One thing I might suggest is adding air springs to the knee to take some of the load off of the gears. BP made some machines that the knee was the Z axis and they used a hydraulic system of some kind. If you set it up so the knee ''weighs'' about 100 lbs or so, the servo will easily move it and you won't wear out the gears and lead screw. Maybe someday concider a ball screw for the knee.

I read through this thread and looks like you are doing a great job in spite of the various problems, just a normal build. o_O

One thing I might suggest is adding air springs to the knee to take some of the load off of the gears. BP made some machines that the knee was the Z axis and they used a hydraulic system of some kind. If you set it up so the knee ''weighs'' about 100 lbs or so, the servo will easily move it and you won't wear out the gears and lead screw. Maybe someday concider a ball screw for the knee.

I bought this Bridgeport for $450 and it was completely clapped out so I'm just fixing problems that have already existed before I owned it.....

The Z axis servo has a 5:1 gear head and it moves the Knee with out any problems, up and down works great..... before I added the gear head the knee would only go down.....

The problem is that my knee gears have 50 years of wear on them with about 3/8" - 1/2" of backlash..... lol

I have never seen a ball screw for the knee.....

Last edited:
Back