Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
Looking good.

I have never operated a CNC mill before. Maybe it is the old fart in me, but it would drive me nuts not to have the ability to move the knee or table with a handle. I know that you can do so through the control panel, and I would probably get use to it but seems combersome for some reason. I am probably back ass-word on this.

Looking good.

I have never operated a CNC mill before. Maybe it is the old fart in me, but it would drive me nuts not to have the ability to move the knee or table with a handle. I know that you can do so through the control panel, and I would probably get use to it but seems combersome for some reason. I am probably back ass-word on this.

I am actually planning on installing 3 CNC MPG hand wheels on this machine so I can run it manually and use the cnc controler as a dro.
Screenshot_2020-11-09-12-54-21.png

Looking good.

I was a hand-wheel only guy too until I bought a Bridgeport with a 2-axis Anilam controller around 3 years ago. Mine still maintains hand wheel control if the servos aren't powered up; best of both worlds. CNC is such a game changer for certain things. You don't get the feel of chatter if you are cutting too hard, but making arcs and anything repetitive is sooo nice.

If you can follow a recipe in a cookbook, you can learn G-code. It's just simple instructions telling the machine what to do and how fast to do it.

Bruce

I was a hand-wheel only guy too until I bought a Bridgeport with a 2-axis Anilam controller around 3 years ago. Mine still maintains hand wheel control if the servos aren't powered up; best of both worlds.

this one will be a bit different the servos will be powered all the time and be making the moves so there will be no backlash but there also wont be much or any feel in the hand wheels.....

Back