Bridgeport HALO Angel Eyes light build

Guys- I have a question about this? I am thinking about putting a halo LED on my new drill press. If I draw a line of sight from the diameter of the 100mm halo to the tip of the drill, it would appear that the light will be blocked by the rather large drill chuck. Is this going to be a problem or is there enough scatter to illuminate the center of the work anyway? This may not be an issue with BP mills due to the geometry but may be an issue for me?
Robert
Robert, you will have a shadow and lose a lot of light. Frankly, flooding with light from the side works better, but it can get in the way. I've got some auto led fog lights that'll go on the mill too.p, just need to devise some bracketry.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce- thats what I figured. I will look at lights on either side with a better angle
R

I like Bruce's double halo, gives a lot of light. I mounted my Halo light on the spindle ram so the distance relative to the chuck is always the same and I do not get any noticeable shadowing from the chuck. This is with a 100mm LED ring, you could add another outer ring for more lumens like Bruce did. I also use a 24" high output LED light bar behind it mounted to the base so it lights up the table and diminishes any shadowing. I have built a few of these light rings for others and they have worked well, wish I had a CNC mill, would be fun to do more creative milling.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...-did-you-do-in-your-shop-today.14637/page-290
20161121_162024.jpg
20161121_163600.jpg

I've been looking at the round magnifying lights made in China which are cheap . I figured I'd just take the magnifier out and mount the lights. The little bullet lights from Ikea are nice too.

Bruce,
I just saw this halo eyes project you made.
Incredible! Great job.
You know, if someone decides to make this product it will sell!
A few months later, but, I am blind as a bat, I’m always flooding my work with any light I can find.

Back