Bridgeport J Head Mill Nut/Wrench sizes...?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been away from any Bridgeport mills lately and would like to know the wrench/nut sizes for the mills worm gear adjusters and knuckle bolts.
I may need to tram the mill and want to make sure I bring the correct wrenches for these bolts/nuts. There are four in front and two worm gear nuts yes?

Also, is a 14" arc wide enough to tram the BP mill? 7" for each axis?

My clone J-head are all 3/4". I say that with a grain of salt, but every other aspect of my clone has been identical to a Bridgeport.
And I tram my head with about a 10" swing. So, 14" should be plenty. So much so, that you'll run off the ends of the Y axis unless you use some straight edges.

Thanks. When you say 3/4", is that the bolt size or the wrench size? I.e. a 3/4" hex bolt requires a 1 1/8"- 1 1/4" wrench.

it's funny, the Kurt vise i have is 3/4" hex on the handle, and so is all the moving hardware on the BP.
i have used the vise handle to loosen the nuts and drawbar too!

3/4" hex heads are standard, pretty much. Until you address the hold down system. Those typically are 7/8". I have, hidden somewhere, a welded 3/4 X 7/8" shop made combination box wrench. Haven't seen it in years though.

Back