Bridgeport J head noise

Also set the clutch so the spindle sheave is unlocked from the quill drive, in back gear position. Both the freewheeling sheave and the quill have that same similar dry bearing sound. They are dead / near dead regardless. Off to H&W

@Technical Ted I don't mean to high jack a thread but I've got what I think is a noisy head. I have the slop/clicking that you described when I turn the spindle back and forth by hand. What is it that you adjust to fix that?

I assume it only does it in high range. This is where the spindle is in direct drive with the front vari pulley via the meshing of teeth on the clutch (bottom is actually the big bull gear). All the clutch is, is teeth on the ends of the bull gear and vari speed pulleys. They mesh together and if not fully engaged will rattle and can be heard by turning the spindle back and forth by hand.

The hi/low lever is what is used to engage them. If this lever doesn't let the lower/big bull gear (which has the teeth on it) travel up far enough it will not fully engage and the mess will be loose. That handle, in the Hi position, needs to move up more to raise the bull gear more, to get more mesh.

Some machines have a sliding piece with the hi range hole in it and this can be moved up by loosening the set screw in the side. This piece can also be flipped upside down, if it hasn't been flipped before, to give more travel. The hole in it is slightly off center.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if it's not clear.

Ted

Aaahhhh gotcha! Mines a series 2 with a 4j head but from my experience with this thing it's similar to a 2j head for most adjustments. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!

I got the belt drive assembly apart. Got the bearings on the bull gear out. They are the worst. The second worse are the bearings for the step pulley on the spindle side [vs motor side] The main spindle bearings seem good, not crazy noisey like these others. No play I can feel. I should put a gauge on it I suppose. The motor bearings are not great, have new ones on the way, as well as a kit from H&W for the step pulley drive.

Got the drive and motor all put back together. So much quieter now! Also got and hooked up a Mitsubishi VFD.
Still have to run permanent 240 wiring to it, and mount up the DRO I got lucky coming across.

Back