Bridgeport J Head Spindle Bearings & Re Build...?

Nevermind, I looked it up, the re grind work is done on the r8 taper to bring it back to tolerance.
This is done usually as part of the spindle re build. is Wells Index still doing this work?

Wells did mine a couple of years ago. Was fast and very nice to deal with. Don't know for sure if they are still doing them but I couldn't imagine why not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bearings are a high dollar item I was lucky and had some new old stock from Ebay, if the bearings have been spinning a lot then if it were me I would check the spacers are not damaged, they should be of equal length too. If you need to replace them too they aren't too bad price wise.

could the spacers be re ground ? I've seen the whole spindle assembly being sold for $600. is that a good option if its in good shape
with new bearings? I will contact a few places like H&W or Mills Index. A complete tear down and all parts replacement (the really bad parts)
are probably in order; i.e. new collet pin, screws, bolts, washers, draw bar, belts,,,,, etc...
Thanks

The drawbar is probably made by Kurt and is not part of the spindle. Is $600 for a core or a rebuilt one? All of the small parts are not that expensive, its the bearings and grinding if any is needed that costs the big money. That is why I just bought a new one, then there is no question. But we also build aircraft parts at work. Tim

Sidecar is one of our HM members. He specializes in rebuilding BP.
Consider soliciting his advice.

Daryl
MN

Back