BRIDGEPORT M HEAD SPINDLE WEAR PROBLEM

You can hear the machine breathing a sigh of relief: "finally, some people who know how to care for me"
LOL

I replied last night here with NEW FINDINGS, but the post is missing! hmmm Oh well, Ill try again. I re read the manual for the round ram/M head Bp mill and it says that the M head could be ordered with one of three spindles ! Part number 2204820 was a #2 MT, Pn ***4821 was a #7 B& S and Pn ***4822 was a B-3!! So, I'm going to try a #7 B&S collet first and see what happens. I wouldn't have looked up the parts list if it weren't for your suggestions about different sized spindles!
SO< thanks again to all who took the time to reply
dlB

WEll, as it turns out gents, the #7B&S taper fits perfectly! It sticks out of the snout of the spindle almost half an inch more than my MT #2 collets do!
That gives me considerably more force on the clamping and virtually no spin on the fly cutter or drill chuck.
Thank you all again for your time and assistance.
Peace
dlB

Thanks for posting this Link on "M" Head Collet Sizing. VERY informative!! As it turns out my M head came with a spindle that takes #7 B&S collet as I stated in an earlier reply I was able to find as many as I needed on eBay. Just had to search a few sellers "stores" to find the listing but it was easy and not very expensive.

Thank again for all input
dlB

My pleasure, a small pass it forward.

AS IT TURNS OUT.......THE SPINDLE IS A BROWN AND SHARP #7!!! A little research determined that some Brideports were equipped with B&S #7 spindles. Problem solved!! Thank you all...!

Back