Bridgeport measuring system

Dynahoe Dave

Registered
Registered
Are the old rails for the original measuring system worth anything? My mill came with them, but no dial indicators, or spacers, etc. Just the rails with the dial covers on the end. I am installing a DRO, so they have to come off. If they are of any value, I'll sell them / give them away if low value, or scrap them.

Pics maybe? I have no idea what you have there. :)

They are most likely a little dated with the advent of the DRO era...

Ted

From what I found in a manual, yes, they would be no fun to use, especially compared to a DRO. But back when the thing was new,probably needed.

Old Measurement Racks.jpg

Are the "rails" you're referring to part of a Trav-A-Dial linear measuring system? If they are, and they are in good shape there still is a market for them. We had Trav-A-Dials on several machines where I worked. They were as accurate as any DRO. Their only drawback was they cold only measure linear movement. They couldn't do things like bolt circle interpolation, or change from Imperial to Metric measuring scales.

They don't have any names / markes on them. They are cast Iron. The small piece in the picture is the same gray paint as the machine. Looking at the diagrams in the manual, I am missing the piece that has the thumb screw for the front [X axis] rail. They look a lot like the ones shown in the Series 1 manual I downloaded. On page 11 [as printed in the scan, not the pdf page.] Manual No. M-105 Series 1 installation operation and maintenance manual.

Had two machines with those end rods setups when I served my apprenticeship. You used a special micrometer head like an inside micrometer head and bars of known length in those, something like using gage blocks on a surface plate.

Once you got used to it it provided near jig bore accuracy on a BP pretty easily.

I'm never adverse to necroposting; especially when value goes unrecognized. If you still possess the coordinate measuring parts I'll provide a new home.
I have the micrometers and measuring rods and many Ames 1/1000 indicators.

Back