Bridgeport Model "e" Shaper Or Slotting Attachment?

An update on the shaper head. I got it! I sold a bunch of other equipment for the owner, and basically got it as a "commission" for my time spent. $$ invested = none!

I brought it home and mounted it to my mill. It has an on/off switch on the motor, so I wired it directly to my phase converter. It runs very smoothly and quietly. I only ran it for a minute, because I want to change the crankcase oil before putting it to work. Looks like it uses way oil in the oiler cup, and 600w gear oil in the crank case. I'll have to look for some 600w. I don't know how common that is.

I looked around on-line, and found a small 9 page user manual for it. It doesn't explain much, but that's how I found out what kind of oil to use in it.

It didn't come with any tooling, but I tried putting a small 5/8" shank cemented carbide boring bar in the clapper box, and it fits perfectly. I'll need to mill or grind a flat on the shank so the set screw can retain it properly, then grind the carbide tip to suit my needs. As I mentioned above, the cheap Chinese 5/8" shank cemented carbide boring bars are widely available, and easily altered. We'll see how they actually work once I get it fully operational. I hope they aren't too brittle. I've had limited success using them for their intended purpose. I could also make HSS cutting tools for it, so I'm not too worried about tooling. The OEM tooling on eBay is selling for ridiculous money!

GG

20170124_201038.jpg 20170124_201112.jpg

Last edited:
I have used one of those in the past. 40 years ago , it was state of the art for cutting splines using a rotary table. Was also good to broach keyways. I always ground tools from HSS. They work well and can be handy.

They really aren't used as much as they should be . I'd buy one if the cost was what I could afford. Cutting slots on angles can be a great addition to the shop. They can be used to cut gears , cheaper then a cutter to do a gear. Couple arbors made up for tooling , high speed tool bits work well in them. Last time I used one was back in 1973 , during my vocational school years. But Mr Montgomery , our tool & die teacher had us learn as much as we could. There wasn't a better man born. Still see and remember most of his teaching in my mind . But he taught us how to use every machine in the shop , including a grinding room and heat treatment room . We had a stockroom better then many shops I worked in before my disability.
YUPP I'd loved to have one in my humble tiny shop.

Lucked out and got one mounted to the Bridgeport I just bought, along with the tooling. I have some projects I really want to try it out on.

First time poster. I just bought a Bridgeport clone this week, a g0796 and the model e fit like a glove, no mods bolted right in. Had to paint mine white to match. Would love better youtube videos on its use; maybe in the future but I have found the 10 factory bits and their descriptions. You have 30, 45, 60, 90, and 120 degree corner cuts standard along with 3 lengths of boring bars.

I'd buy one if the cost was what I could afford.

That's pretty much where I'm at, too. There is another one available locally on Craigslist for $1000, but that's a bit much for a hobby budget. You could buy a lot of other tooling for that much money.

I have found the 10 factory bits and their descriptions. You have 30, 45, 60, 90, and 120 degree corner cuts standard along with 3 lengths of boring bars.

I was looking at those on eBay. They run from $400 to $600 for a full set, or $60+ each individually. You would almost have to be a collector to pay those kind of prices. I don't see why I couldn't make a couple cutting tools for it. They don't seem that complicated.

My primary use for it will be for cutting internal keyways on some pulleys I plan to make.

GG

Yes you could easily. They have a shallow concave dome milled on the bottom first, then the appropriate profile ground from the sides. No kids, no alimony, no debt so I bought them because you can't take it with you. The boring bar is the first item to make. Straight core and a 15 degree angle core on the other end. You can grind the HSS insert to any shape you want. I bought 5/8 drill rod to braze on pre profiled tips perfect for small gears.

Awesome find! I have a lot of quality time on those, slotting interrupted threads in Bofors breech blocks and rings.....

PS
Tooling need not be expensive..... just use HSS blanks.

Tooling need not be expensive..... just use HSS blanks.

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't look like it should be complicated. I never throw out any broken HSS tooling (taps, drills, end mills, etc) because sometimes they can be re-ground for a particular cutting tool need.

Finding the 600w oil (steam cylinder oil) for the crank case is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. The smallest quantity available seems to be a 5 gallon bucket for $112 plus shipping, or a quart bottle on eBay for $40. Even H&W in Fort Wayne had to ask their oil supplier what to use in place of 600w. I was very surprised by that. Before I pay a ridiculous price for a quart of oil, I may talk to some of the steam railroad and steam traction engine guys. They might be likely to part with a quart at a more reasonable price.

GG

Back