BRIDGEPORT MONSTER VICE

Currahee26

Registered
Registered
Greetings/
I just bought a Bridgeport vice (about 80 pounds worth) for $50 off eBay. It had no jaws but im making what I need. While cleaning it I noticed the bottom has four (4) slots with small threaded holes at one end. I have included a photo of the bottom showing three slots.
QUESTIION: What are these for?

getPart.jpg

It is common to have metal keys attached in two of those slots, opposite each other. When you place the vise on the mill table, the keys go into one of the slots on the table. Before you tighten the mounting bolts, you push the keys against one side of the slots. Hopefully, when you test the alignment of the vise with the table, it will be right on.

Those look like they are for the "keys", blocks that align the vise to the table.

The keys were possibly removed and a swivel base used instead; ideally the keys should fit snugly in the table slots.

I also have a Bridgeport vise, 6", probably same as yours. After cleaning it up and making the movable jaw slides fit tighter, I made new keys for the base from mild steel. They are stepped to fit the slots in the vise with a light tap fit and fit the t-slots of my mill table with a snug sliding fit. I then carefully rounded liberally all the edges and corners that go down into the t-slot so they will not scratch the mill table or damage the t-slots when installing and removing the vise from the mill. I then installed the vise on the mill, bolted it down and milled the shop made mild steel jaw faces, tops, and sides in place with a 3/4" diameter long fluted carbide end mill. I no longer tram my vise when installing it, I bolt it down and use it after testing it multiple times and seeing less than .001" along the 6" jaw length. If I bump the vise in one direction and then tighten it down, it is within .0005". No reason to indicate it except to make sure and to bring a smile...
Note: The t-slots on my Millrite are in perfect, new condition (NOS mill purchase) and I plan to keep them that way. I was using the middle t-slot at first but then moved the vise to the front t-slot to preserve Y travel the length of the table, same accuracy of vise fit.

If you make them even round stock can be used . Like locating pins which is what they are. I've often used dowel pins in slots to locate the x access to set up square .

All very good replies and suggestions!! Thank you all for your time on this. I will probably get around to making these "keys" down the road. Just finished making the new jaws tonight.
Again thanks to you all for your time and thoughts.
dlB
(please pray for the victims and families of Douglas High School in Parkland, FL My daughter in law graduated from there as did her sister and brother recently. It is a local school for us.)

Well, well, well....what have we here?? I looked at the manual again for the M Head and found the following into. It came with a choice of 3 spindle sizes! pn 2204820 #2 MT, *** 4821 #7 B&S and ***4822 B-3 tapers!, and appropriate drawbars!
So, I'm going to get a B&S collet and give it a try and see if my problems are solved. Well, maybe not solved , but at least identified.

Thanks again for the heads up
dlB

Back