Bridgeport Pancake Motor Teardown (lots of pics)

That's a long way to mail something that heavy, but I can ask at the Post Office what it would cost.

Although this thread is 9 months old, I'd like to contribute to the knowledge base a little bit. I've just replaced the bearings in my '64 Bridgeport Pancake motor. Mine, although Fairbanks Morse too, isn't identical to the one pictured above, but I bet the bearings are the same. Here's what I bought:

For the upper bearing, I sourced a MRC (a unit of SKF) 87507. The bearing package is further marked: STEEL/C3/ABEC-1 This bearing was $40 or so, at my local bearing house. (Philly Ball in Pottstown, PA)

The lower bearing is a double row critter that also is a MRC. MRC 5305CFF. The bearing package is further marked: STEEL/C3/ABEC-1. This one was more money - roughly $70 or so.

Hope this helps the next guy.

By the way, I really like these pancake motors - the one I just overhauled sat out in the rain for no telling how long. No problems. Simple. Straight forward. And my VFD made this one purr like a kitten.

Ray

I thought I read about someone replacing the bushes in one of these. Anyone got info on that aspect?

Chuck,

There were no bushings in my particular motor. Just the bearings mentioned above. Now, is it possible you meant to type brushes? But that would be a trick question!

Best regards,

Ray

I thought I read about someone replacing the bushes in one of these. Anyone got info on that aspect?

Yea my R did not work. ahaha. I read here somewhere that a guy rebuilt the motor with new bearings brushes or windings or something. Just trying to work out all I need to have on hand before I tear my head down.

Chuck,

Does the motor run now? If so, all you'll need are bearings. The fact the motor runs now confirms the windings are healthy. If your motor doesn't run, be prepared to find an alternate. Always have a motor shop look it over in case it's something simple.

As for taking this apart, I used a cheesy Harbor Freight hydraulic press. Most fiddly bit was getting the step pulley off. Second most fiddly bit was orienting and cribbing up the motor in the press in order to press down on the rotor shaft such than nothing could come in contact with the windings.

All this said, I had bought this Bridgeport from a auctioneer that had the machine outside for quite some time. For example, the base had about 4 inches of water in it. Certainly didn't see this critter run before buying it. I doubted the motor would be ok, but when I hooked her up to my VFD, viola! Ran quiet and strong. I only replaced the bearings because I figured I shouldn't go to all this trouble and leave it with 51 year old bearings.

This is what a Bridgeport that's been left out in the rain looks like:
JHeadBridgeport006_zpsdfef362e.jpg

JHeadBridgeport002_zps9623e528.jpg

Ray

Good info. Yea she runs like a top. Seems my spindle bearings make a bit of noise but not to bad I figure. Truth be told, for a 55yr old machine to even turn is pretty dang cool. I dont want to tear the head apart but one time so I would like to have all the bearings and what nots before hand

Back