Bridgeport Power Feed 6f Motor Mount Question

The motor should have 5 wires coming out of it. One for ground, two for field and two for armature. Take out a brush. With your ohm meter find the two wires with resistance. Sorry, can’t remember what it should be? ~400? Mark the wires "field". Put the brush back in. Then two more wires will have resistance "arm". ~7? The last wire should be ground to the motor case. ~0. The other wires should have infinity to case ground. Again sorry, I cannot recall the typical found resistance. But hopefully you get the idea of what kinda resistance range you want to look for…Good Luck, Dave.

OK I did this just now. The field wires are reading 583. The to arm wires are reading 1.7 to 2 ohms. There isn't a 5th wire. I assume its just grounded inside the motor. The entire enclosure is grounded by the incoming power ground to a screw.

Paul

So the resolution to this was to replace the board with an upgrade kit. Specifically this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACEMENT...FOR-6F-POWER-FEED-BRIDGEPORT-NEW/292135009361

The switches were fine. I replaced the pot with the one that came in the kit (so now I have a log pot and a standard pot as extras). All of my wiring was fine. The motor was fine. But I had to mill the hole for the bolt holding the lever cam. This would be the one that is at the end by the forward/reverse switch lever. By making the bolt hole a oblong slot I was able to adjust the cam properly allowing the engagement of the gears. For whatever reason it wouldn't do it like it was supposed to. I also installed a stiffer spring to make a more positive gear mesh. It seems to work well. The speed control as well as forward/reverse and fast traverse. All that's left is to install the assembly on the mill. There are a few pictures. I'll post them later.

Paul

Sooo I ran the table too far and stripped the bevel gear. Add another $200.00 to my repair. I ordered and have received the gear. So I get to tear it all down again. Oh the Joy.

What I'm getting at here is that I need to make something that will trip the lever at end of travel. This unit doesn't have the remote handle or rod assembly. Just the short handle for forward and reverse.... I don't want to do this again.

Paul

Sooo I ran the table too far and stripped the bevel gear. Add another $200.00 to my repair. I ordered and have received the gear. So I get to tear it all down again. Oh the Joy.

What I'm getting at here is that I need to make something that will trip the lever at end of travel. This unit doesn't have the remote handle or rod assembly. Just the short handle for forward and reverse.... I don't want to do this again.

Paul
Paul, that’s too bad, I started with 3A fuses in mine until I sorted out the issues, blew about 5 fuses, it would be a good idea to have a low amp resettable breaker that tripped instead of crashing a gear. I have a stop control rod I am most likely not going to use if you are interested. Just pay for shipping and whatever you think it is worth or send me a piece of tooling you don’t want in exchange. If you need a picture of it let me know, might be easier/ cheaper to make your own though.
Jon

Last edited:
Paul, that’s too bad, I started with 3A fuses in mine until I sorted out the issues, blew about 5 fuses, it would be a good idea to have a low amp resettable breaker that tripped instead of crashing a gear. I have a stop control rod I am most likely not going to use if you are interested. Just pay for shipping and whatever you think it is worth or send me a piece of tooling you don’t want in exchange. If you need a picture of it let me know, might be easier/ cheaper to make your own though.
Jon

Good idea on the re-settable breaker. I might have to do that. Let me think about the rod assembly. I might just do end of travel switches to kill the power on the power feed motor. As usual I'm probably going to make it more complicated than needed.

Paul

Express: I feel your pain as I have been reading this thread- in the future (and for others in this same boat) if you need electrical/electronic help
please try posting in the electrical section of the site first; Like me there are several retired electronics engineers on the forum who would be happy to help, and you may get a faster response posting there since I tend to check that section much more frequently than the machine-specific forums.
Ciao,
Mark S.

Last edited:
Back