Bridgeport Power Feed 6f Motor Mount Question

Thanks for the verification Paul - wish I could help you with the electrical side but you've already exceeded my knowledge and skills in that area.

Mine was working fine before I started playing with it - hopefully I won't introduce any issues :)

Rick

I appreciate the good thoughts Rick. :) I'm sure yours will be good to go.

So should I be figuring out how to measure the output of power from the board to the motor while turning the new pot I put on there?

Anyone have any idea what to test next? Before I throw $500 more at fixing this part. Probably without any direction I will start throwing money at it. Because I'm getting worn out on what should be something simple and my patience can only go so far. >insert grumbling here then ignore it<

To recap current problem: I turn the on switch on. Pilot light turns on. I switch into gear and turn the pot. The motor doesn't start moving until I'm up to probably 25% 30% of speed. Once it starts turning the pot has no effect on speed and will not stop the motor from turning even if turned all the way down. If you turn the pot all the way up or somewhere near full speed it blows the fuse. Note the motor is not mounted to the gear box so there is no load on it.

Thanks, Paul

OK so quick question as I'm still slowly messing with this. Whenever I get a few minutes. I've got a guide for things to test on the motor. Can someone clarify on testing the resistance on several points of the armature. If I understand it correctly it's tested by probing each brush while mounted..(cover screw taken out of course)... Looking for 1 ohm across. Then turning it to a different spot and doing the same. Will this accomplish the 180 degree offset between contacts on the armature? Or should I just take the thing apart for this testing?

I checked the field winding's and they aren't shorted to the casing so I assume the insulator/shellac/varnish(whatever that coating is) is still OK. Also I get close to the 500 ohm reading across the winding's (lead to lead). This with everything else pulled from the center casing.

Everything I see says motor is OK...

Still grinding at this until it's further exhausted.

Paul

Last edited:
This is the last time I put this motor together....I'm not going to do it again. Today. I've spent time messing with the switches and I've determined that they are adjusted fine. But I was getting odd readings with the wiring hooked up. So it might be wiring. I think the previous owner did some adjustment wiring.... So I will be rewiring next. I hope that is the end of it.
Paul

OK so after making sure all wires are properly attached to the switches. I'm getting proper ohm readings at idle position and if the wires are disconnected from the switch terminals. If either plunger is depressed the opposite switch has a reading of 552 ohms +/- all direction I read state it should either be Zero or infinite depending on position and never anything else. Does this mean my field windings are trash? See the picture. The motor field is connected to the Yellow and white wires to the left. (Also the board is detached while checking resistance.)
DSCN4657.JPG

Could it possibly be a transistor? I put it all together today to test again. Same result. Nothing happens until I start turning the speed control up. Then it runs up I believe to full speed..if you turn the pot back down to zero nothing changes it keeps running. Then blows the fuse after a short while. The 500 +/- ohm resistance above must just be coming from the field windings from all simple deduction.

Well I gave up and mailed the board into a dealer. I was getting no where on my own. >Insert personal failure and let down here<

LOL so the board is fine. I either fixed it or it was already OK... So I mailed in the motor today. Gotta love it. If they tell me the motor is fine...then there isn't much left but the wiring above or the on/off switch or the fast travel button. I almost hope it's the motor just so I can move on to the next part of the rebuild.

So I found out today that the armature is shorted out. So I get to buy a new one...an extra $300 plus install. I'm letting them install it just so it comes back to me working and adjusted to the board. I thought I tested it out properly but I guess I didn't understand it as well as I thought I did.

I didn't realize I started this in February. Anyhow, I did get the motor and the board back months ago. What I'm looking at now is why I can't get the motor to respond aside from occasionally when I go back to neutral position. I've looked at the micro switches until I'm seeing stars! I've tried loosening them and just holding one closed while the other is open and I get nothing still (except occasionally when I release a switch I get a motor bump). Not burning fuses anymore...motor was rebuilt so that's not it and board was tested by them as well. Irritating at best!

Paul

Back