Bridgeport Power Feed Troubles

Slackerzinc

Registered
Registered
Hey all
I just bought and hooked up my first Bridgeport 9x42. I has a gear box power feed that is messed up(gear broken) how can I switch over to a new style power feed (servo type) without buying the $300 extension kit. Can I just buy a new lead screw from a manual table and bolt up the new power feed??? Thanks for your help
image.jpeg

James Killroy did a series on doing this to a gear driven table drive on a mill. it wasn't a Bridgeport but same principle. I believe it is called Power Feed part 1-6. It wasn't a simple project but doable. Check it out.

It may be easier to make a new gear.

Repairing the original is not an option. Besides the broken gear there is 1/2" of metal fileings in the bottom of case.

ouch. that is a problem. By the way James Kilroy is on YouTube. Also I believe the Trainman on YouTube did one on a bridge port also.

I added one to my Comet mill. that needed a shom made. Also the instructions were totally useless. That mill did not have a gearbox on it. I purchased it from Enco when they had 25% off and free shipping. Cost a little north of $200. So far I'm happy with it.

It definitely looks doable. I was just hopeing I could buy a new lead screw, put it in and hook
up the new power feed!

:face slap:
It definitely looks doable. I was just hopeing I could buy a new lead screw, put it in and hook
up the new power feed!

Sure you can. All it takes is $$$$$$$$ which most of use don't have to spend freely. ie. SWMBO approval.

I called a company that sells the adaptor and a servo power feed and they said $900 for everything. If I got a lead screw for $100 and a $350 power feed. That's half price and I don't have a 6" extension on the right side of my table. I just want to find out for sure if that's all I have to do.

Don't spend the money! I did the conversion myself with guidance from a thread written by a fellow named Kay Fisher. Scroll down to the heading "power X feed". http://neme-s.org/shapers/bp.html

I did mine around 2002 using the same method he describes, including using a file to reduce the diameter ad it works like a charm.

That's what I wanted to hear. I have seen that webpage. It looks like the way to do it. And not that difficult! You are happy with the outcome with no regrets?

Don't spend the money! I did the conversion myself with guidance from a thread written by a fellow named Kay Fisher. Scroll down to the heading "power X feed". http://neme-s.org/shapers/bp.html

I did mine around 2002 using the same method he describes, including using a file to reduce the diameter ad it works like a charm.

Back