Bridgeport Question

rafe

Active User
Registered
When facing the mill table, there is a zerk fitting on the left side of the mill knee for the knee way I assume , below that around 8 inches there is another threaded hole. Was there a zerk fitting there also? It's a 1967 42" table 67XXX .
Yes it finally followed me home and it's in nice shape, needs a little clean up, and that's what it will get....

The zerk fittings on the ways are meant for way oil using a push type oiler that registers against the end of the fitting. I replaced the ball oilers on my mills ways with the zerk fittings and found they were a huge improvement -- Jack

Yes it finally followed me home and it's in nice shape, needs a little clean up, and that's what it will get....

Remember, without pics it never happened ;)

Shouldn't there be a bit of roundstock with the way angle ground on it followed buy a threaded rod in that hole to lock the knee. The handle on the threaded rod is turned squishing the angled round stock into the way, thus locking the knee. My2cents

Here is the picture, The PO has been using grease not way oil ....How much of a problem has this caused? I really do not want to disassemble this beast. I think I'll just flush it out with way oil as I use it . It won't be getting set in the shop for a few weeks at least .....I'll likely pick up a rebuild manual from Wells . Does anyone have any input on them?10372349.JPG All it came with was the criterion boring head

Nice mill and the Criterion head will serve you well !

Wow , that is a blast from the past !!! That's where I started and it brought back some fond memories . Here's me and my oldest way back when . The mill is long gone , he is not . ( He took up brain surgery but occasionally machines parts for the extra $$$ ) LOL

IMG_6135.JPG

Last edited:
Do I see a Knee Feed on that beauty?

I do foresee a lot of Scotchbrite being spent, along with elbow grease. You'll be happy with that machine.

It looks like you did a lot of careful planning in preparing your mill for the journey, GREAT. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see how nice the cast iron cleans up. Cast iron can look like rust from hell until you give it a little elbow grease. Thanks for sharing, keep us posted!...Dave

It looks like you did a lot of careful planning in preparing your mill for the journey, GREAT. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see how nice the cast iron cleans up. Cast iron can look like rust from hell until you give it a little elbow grease. Thanks for sharing, keep us posted!...Dave
I had to get it pretty quickly and went over and moved it near the shop door with an engine hoist ...I was going to hire someone to get it from there as the hoist was close to useless and would never get it high enough for the trailer . No takers on the hire so I decided to build a gantry crane . That what you see around the mill in the trailer. It's wide enough to straddle the trailer and ten foot tall. It assembles in about 15 to 20 minutes and I bought a 2 ton chainfall . The whole show was less than $150 and was money well spent. The mill handles are surface rust. the table mostly oil and grease ...It looks better than the photo shows. I cleaned up one side and it looks good but it could go right into service the way it is , but i'll clean it up a little. I have a nice 5/8" jacobs chuck that needs an r8 adapter it's threaded 3/4 16 and I'm wondering if that's a bad idea to use a threaded chuck,probably it is a bad idea! I have other jacobs chucks but they are 1/2 "

Do I see a Knee Feed on that beauty?
I don't know ....what is a knee feed . It does have a crank to raise and lower the knee . The motor on the right side is connected a gear box the drives the table, I don't think there is any power to the knee though

Back