Bridgeport quill feed

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I was comparing a extra bridgeport head I have for parts with the one on my mill. The quill feed will not shift into gear unless I push the plunger up with a screwdriver. On my parts head (first photo) the bushing is beveled and shifts easily, the one on the mill (second Photo) is not beveled and will not shift. Is this bushing always supposed to be beveled or is something else wrong? Head serial number is J85789, I was told it is about a 1975 head.

Attachments

• Bridgeport donor head shift.jpg
    Bridgeport donor head shift.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Bridgeport heas shifter.jpg
    Bridgeport heas shifter.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 21
H&M machine has a couple great books on mills. I highly recommend getting the one that matches your mill. If I make it to the shop today I'll dig through mine and see what it has to say. I knew jack squat about it all, and with book in hand walked through my poor abused mill from top to bottom no problem. They probably have any parts you need and some you want, as well as being terrific to talk to and order from. If you haven't noticed I'm a very happy customer. Good luck with your project.

If you loosen the screws on the engage system, rotate CCW a bit and tighten, it will probably clear. Or just put a bit of a bevel on the bushing. Just needs a little clearance there.

I just went through my BP clone (Sharp). Took the dang thing apart, ordered parts, deburred, straightened etc.
Reassembled and everything works slick. I have no idea how it got so bound up.
My 2 cents.

If the threaded shaft (where the spindle stop nut rides) doesn't wiggle up and down about 3/16 of an inch it is probably all gummed up at the bottom end of the threaded shaft. There is a part there called the dogbone iirc that needs to teeter freely. If it does not, remove and clean associated parts.

If the threaded shaft (where the spindle stop nut rides) doesn't wiggle up and down about 3/16 of an inch it is probably all gummed up at the bottom end of the threaded shaft. There is a part there called the dogbone iirc that needs to teeter freely. If it does not, remove and clean associated parts.

There is a dogbone in there, but it's in the top kickout. The bottom wiggly thing is a rocker, pivots on the screwed in pin. But you are correct, the bottom can get all gummed up.

Back