Bridgeport series 1 2hp mill Question??

Just a moment to thank those that have replied. I appreciate the info. I did view the video. After viewing the video I took a look at my machine and discovered there is at least .050 distance between the Quill Nosepiece and the Quill. If I am correct the video says that should be about .005 so this may be where my problem is. I'll take out the set screw and try to adjust the nosepiece this morning. If any comments holler and I'll let you folks know what happens after I take out the set screw and adjust the nose piece to the quill.

Just a moment to thank those that have replied. I appreciate the info. I did view the video. After viewing the video I took a look at my machine and discovered there is at least .050 distance between the Quill Nosepiece and the Quill. If I am correct the video says that should be about .005 so this may be where my problem is. I'll take out the set screw and try to adjust the nosepiece this morning. If any comments holler and I'll let you folks know what happens after I take out the set screw and adjust the nose piece to the quill.

Yep, sounds like you're on the right track. And I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but I want to emphasize not to over tighten the set screw after you get it adjusted. Mine was too tight when I first bought my mill and brought it home. To the best of my knowledge, there is typically a dimple in the noise piece where the set screw inserts into, so adjust it only to this point. Then, just barely snug the screw. It's hard to believe that a little too much pressure here would distort the quill, but it surely will.

Good luck,
Ted

Well took off the nosecap, wow was it filthy and it must have had .020 or so of filth and buildup on the bearing surface of the cap. I cleaned it all up and re-installed and tapped the cap to about .008 tightness. I didn't want to over tighten it. So anyway it appears all my slop is gone, YEA!! The test will come when I use the machine again this week. I took care not to overtighten the set screw. This machine was just covered in aluminum sluff when I bought it. I cleaned it up best I could but I am sure it needs a much more thorough cleaning. I don't use it that much and think I will use it as a "Winter Project" for complete teardown and cleaning this coming winter.

AGAIN I WANT TO THANK ALL THAT REPLIED AND OFFERED ADVICE, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU.

Mike Ferguson
Lincoln, Montana

If you found that much crud in there I agree it would be an excellent idea to tear it down and clean. There is a felt piece on top of the spindle/quill that lets oil through, but should stop crud, but maybe yours needs replacing. You didn't say whether you have a 1J or 2J head, but since you said 2HP I assume it's a 2J. Here's a book I bought that you might like as well. Has a lot of very good info:

https://www.amazon.com/Renovating-B...4&sr=8-2&keywords=bridgeport+ilion+industrial

There's also one for the 1J head (step pulley) if you have that head.

Good job!
Ted

OK, problem solved. Used my mill today and it appears my problem is solved no movement of the end mill when cutting. It looks like the nose cap on the quill was the problem.

I can't thank you guys enough, you saved me a lot of money, time and headache.........have a great independence day. What a great forum and website.

Back