Bridgeport series 1 2hp

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I have an out of town friend who's neighbor is selling a Bridgeport Series 1 2 horsepower 3 phase mill. It is an estate sale, they don't know much about it. I has a heavy duty Bridgeport factory power feed on the X axis and a lighter possibly aftermarket power feed on the Y.

Can anyone tell me if the power feeds are likely to be 110 rather than 3 phase?

What size would this mill be? aprox table size and weight?

What is a series 1 head?

The mill is not currently under power, I will have to find a way to connect my 2 HP VFD to it with either a generator or whatever 220 power they have in the garage.

They are asking 3500 which is more than I am inclined to pay but the machine might be in good condition and the factory power feed seems desirable.

Thanks

-John

The power feeds are 110 . I tend to discard the heavy BP power feeds and use servo 140s , just to negate the weight off the table . Not knowing the condition , that price seems a bit high if no DRO or other tooling . That mill will be around 2000 lbs and have a 9x48" table ( most likely ) Series 1 head is variable speed .

Last edited:
The original BP factory power feed is likely 3 phase, but I think some of the later ones were DC motor powered and quite possibly 120VAC input.

The standard table is 9x42 inch, but they had an option of 9x49. The weight is around 2300 lbs. The series 1 is the standard BP that you see everywhere. The head could be a 2J or 2J2 depending on variable speed or not.

if it's 2hp it is likely to be a 2J head- variable speed
that's a good thing,
but 3,500 is just a bit too much unless it is in very good/excellent condition

Back