bridgeport series 1 quilllock

1mondo

Registered
Registered
Good day all
I have an issue with the quill lock on my Bridgeport mill. when in the unlocked position the lock rotates clockwise due to vibration and gravity and starts to put some pressure on the quill. I'm sure that you are aware of this bothersome problem. I tried the reverse the handle, shaft and brass shoes remedy which puts the handle on the backside of the quill housing and reverses the rotation which works good but being left handed it is hard for me to reach around the housing to lock/unlock the quill. I saw a video where the guy remade the shaft and rear brass shoe and in the process he threaded them with left hand threads. This also reverses the rotation and leaves the lock in the front of the machine. Just wondering if anyone has done that or knows someone that did or saw the video which I can't find now?
Thanks
Ray

I've never heard of this happening before, but I would think that a drop of blue LocTite on the threads would add enough resistance that the handle would not self tighten and still not interfere with normal operation.

Not that simple, it's not the handle tightening it is the entire lock assembly rotating enough to put drag on the quill. I have watched several videos on the subject and have decided to go with making a new shaft and rear brass shoe and thread them left handed, Should be a nice fix.
Thanks
Ray

Have you tried a little lubrication on the parts? I had issues with my quill lock not releasing and pulled out every thing. I cleaned and reassembled with a little oil and haven't had any more issues.

Not to be a smartazz, but put it on the back, and use your right hand??

I also use a magnet which is stuck on the lower right hand nut to pivot the head. The quill lock lever when in the up position (unlocked) does not budge works great. The brass wedge in the rear could be worn to the point that it’s maxed out stuck in bore putting resistance on quill.

Not to be a smartazz, but put it on the back, and use your right hand??
Did you know that Einstein, Edison and some very cool people were left handed? WE
are just not understood by the poor majority of people!
Thanks for the Reply
Ray

Back