Bridgeport tooling

I asked these same questions less than a year ago. All the advice is super solid!!!! I’ve used transfer punches a chuck framers a lot more than I thought I would have. You’ll also do a lot with a 3/4 end mill than you think you will. I’d honestly move the DRO to the top of the list.

I have the little import set and recently got a set of 5 Niagara 13/32 2 flute for $20, which seemed decent. Weird size, but I'll be working in thous anyway so I don't mind. Though I might have issues holding them in my R8s.
It is very possible that the shank is a different diameter than the cutting edge is.

Great info! Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that I need to get a spindle DTI holder for tramming. I did pick up a nice DTI, a Compac 1 tenths model. That thing is probably more accurate than I am, but at least I know I can get a good measurement from it. And an edge finder, definitely need that.

What do you guys think of the 2 dial indicator holders for tramming? It "seems" like a decent idea, but I don't know enough about tramming yet to know if it is or not. If I go there, I'll likely build one.

I'll keep an eye for some larger cutters. I have the little import set and recently got a set of 5 Niagara 13/32 2 flute for $20, which seemed decent. Weird size, but I'll be working in thous anyway so I don't mind. Though I might have issues holding them in my R8s.

It's sounding like I might want to bump up the ER40 chuck on the list. I do like them on my lathe. And they have a wider clamping range than the R8s. I only briefly looked at them on Shars as that's the site I happened to be on when I thought of it. :) They claim 0.0001 runout, I don't know if I believe it. I did have good luck with their set-tru ER40 though. If you have a good one to recommend, it would be interesting.

Straight shank drill chuck in a collet. I really should have thought of that. Nice trick!

Stubby drills are on the tool list. I recently bought some decent drill bits and the HF set just won't do anymore. It's really nice to have bits that are actually straight!

Face mills I haven't really thought of. How do they compare to fly cutters?

I use a 2.5” face mill,6 inserts a lot.leaves a superb finish.carbide can handle speed and lasts forever

I find a tram tool a lot faster to tram my mill for me at least I’m always pressed for time so I try to get the most out of it when I find it. It was one of my first projects on my mill

FCFA5715-7077-488E-9726-07150592DEBD.jpeg

I find a tram tool a lot faster to tram my mill for me at least I’m always pressed for time so I try to get the most out of it when I find it. It was one of my first projects on my mill

That looks like a good version. Thanks for sharing your experience and the pic. I might build one just because it's a reasonably simple project to practice running the mill.

If you are relatively inexperienced and on a budget my advice is to start making things with what you already have. Buy only what you NEED when you need it. Improvise and/or make for yourself as much as you can. You will learn far more by doing for self than if you just buy the latest gee whizz gadget.
Need to find an edge? A strip of cigarette paper will get you within .001. Need to tram a head? A short piece of .250 rod bent at a 90 deg angle and almost any indicator works just fine. R-8 collet running out a bit? So what? Need a fly cutter? You said you have a lathe and a milling machine.
Make chips, make tools, have fun and learn............................Bob

i think a DRO is really nice on a mill. on a lathe its not as important, but on a mill its nice for laying out holes and such. the bigger end mill is nice for machining uhmw, nylon, etc. carbide inserts and plastic don't mix

Couldn't agree more with lewey. The only problem with a DRO on your mill will be the bruises from kicking yourself that you didn't add it sooner. I put a TPACtools.com 4-axis (digital caliper scale on the quill, not a glass scale) on my Jet JVM-830 and absolutely love it. Many other brands out there, believe the TPAC unit is from mTech.

Bruce

Back