Bridgeport Vise pivot size

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First off, Happy New Year to all! Now my question. I was just given a swivel base that looks like I can use it on my Bridgeport 6" vise (I don't currently have one on it). I have the vise trammed in on the table, so I really don't want to take it off unless I have to. What I am looking for is the diameter (size) of the center pivot pin for the Bridgeport 6" vise. The swivel base that I have has a 0.875 (7/8") pivot pin. anyone have a Bridgeport 6" vise not mounted they could take a quick measurement for me? Thanks!

What do I measure to determine if I have a 6" vise?
There should be a round hole in the center of the bottom of the vise when the swivel base in not installed. If you have a swivel base for it, I need the OD of the center pin. If you don't have a swivel base, then I need the OD of the hole in the center of the bottom of the vise. THANKS!

Ok, so I have a 6". It is not mounted at this time, it does have the base that lets you set it at an angle. I can measure the bolt tomorrow sometime. It is a Bridgeport brand vise, which was a funny to me surprise, as I got it and a bunch of things with the machine, and only noticed the name on it much later.

I suggest that putting together a dial indicator with a quill attached holder, and a little practice will let you align a vise in less time than writing a post. Not being snarky, just thinking your enjoyment of the equipment will be enhanced if moving the vise sieems less of a hassle.

I suggest that putting together a dial indicator with a quill attached holder, and a little practice will let you align a vise in less time than writing a post. Not being snarky, just thinking your enjoyment of the equipment will be enhanced if moving the vise sieems less of a hassle.

Winegrower, your comment is well founded. I have a tramming head, and also the quill indicator holder. I am in the middle of a project and I would prefer not to mess with the vise right now. This base was given to me recently and I was curious to know the Bridgeport pivot size. My hope was that someone had one sitting off their machine and they could take a quick measurement.

Bottom line, when I am done with this current project, I'll just remove the vise and take my own measurement if no one responds prior to that.

Winegrower, your comment is well founded. I have a tramming head, and also the quill indicator holder. I am in the middle of a project and I would prefer not to mess with the vise right now. This base was given to me recently and I was curious to know the Bridgeport pivot size. My hope was that someone had one sitting off their machine and they could take a quick measurement.

Bottom line, when I am done with this current project, I'll just remove the vise and take my own measurement if no one responds prior to that.
The chuck can be trammed without the indicator being aligned with the spindle in any way. Just use the quill (or any solid part of the head) as a mounting for the indicator (mag base works), and then indicate the vise jaws while you traverse the table.

Or are you trying to find the vise pivot center location for some reason?

Bob, I am just trying to find out the diameter of the pivot pin on a Bridgeport 6" vise. I have the vise, but I did not have the swivel base. I was given a swivel base, and the pivot pin is 0.875. What I am just curious about, is what the pin diameter is for a Bridgeport vise. I do NOT believe that this swivel base is a Bridgeport (there are no markings on it). I can make a different pivot to fit if necessary...…….this is just lazy curiosity. ;-)

I will go now out to the shop right now and take my Bridgeport vise off my mill and measure the pivot hole in the bottom of it for you. Tramming a vise in, done properly, only takes a couple minutes.

Back