Bridgeport Voltage 3 phase to single phase

I have the exact same mill - a 36" BP with 1HP motor. I went with the TECO 1 HP with a variable pot built in (JNEV-201-H1). I could not be happier but would like to add a reverse switch and emergency stop sometime.

The Teco 1HP VFD, is the way to go....single phase 115 volt in 3 phase 1 HP out and about $125, and about 15 minutes and you could be makin chips.....I love mine....its a no brainer....

Same here.

I've got a Teco on my J-head 12x42 1.5HP Bridgeport.

220V single-phase in, 220v 3-phase out.

Works great.

Another plug for VFD. Even if I had 3ph power I would be running a VFD just for the versatility it adds.

Another vote for the VFD.
I just got mine running.
The original switch is used to control the VFD.
I mounted the speed pot in the name plate. Handy spot and an empty cavity behind it.
I will add the e stop when the button comes in.
I can run the motor from zero to 75 hertz to give me a little more speed range available for each belt step.
controls.jpg

Here’s a vote for a simple static phase converter if you have multiple 3-phase machines. I run my Bridgeport, my Kalamazoo saw, and my Powermatic PM2000 from a single 3 phase line. (Not simultaneously). I also have a Powermatic wood lathe that I control with a VFD, because rpm is so important moment to moment while turning.

The VFD has to be somewhat customized for the particular motor in use, and should not have any switching inserted between a VFD and motor, so driving multiple machines from one VFD doesn’t seem desirable to me. And of course where do you put the VFD so it’s accessible from all stations?

I have never come close to running out of power with the phase converter on any machine.

Plus, don’t fall for the VFD “zero rpm” idea. The classic machines we have will not have “inverter ready” motors that can handle inverter switching transients, and can overheat at low speeds.

+7 for the VFD.

I run my 3hp Lathe and 5hp mill from VFD's. I do not use the VFD for speed control. It is used for single to 3ph conversion.

If you do use the VFD for speed control you must keep the motor in its frequency/voltage curve, you do this by setting the motor parameters in the VFD

Sorry, I know this is an older thread but I am considering using VFD's for my Enco (Bridgeport clone) as well as a couple of other machines. Is there a simple stand-alone version of a nice VFD drive that doesn't require any fancy DIN rails or elaborate housings? My mill is a 3 phase 2HP model so the ability to smoothly control speed would be nice...

Back