Brightest ceiling shop lights

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
I've searched this site and googled all over the place. I find a lot of facts, figures and double talk (not here of course!) but never a direct answer. (note: the search engine here ignores "LED" because it does not have enough letters - so a search is a little hard. I think this has been answered, but I can't find the thread.)

What I want to know, preferably from someone who has first hand knowledge, is which light source is brightest. A 4', 2 bulb LED light or a 4', 2 bulb florescent light (T8 I think - the skinny ones)? I will be buying the most economical I can fine in Lowes, Menards or WalMart unless there is a good reason to buy something else. No reflector. Nothing fancy.

I have fairly good lighting in my shop with T8 (? see above) florescent lights. However I have 2 darker spots that need more light. I don't care which is initially cheaper, which is more economical to run, which comes to full brightness quickest, which is most eco-friendly or which needs more love. All I care about is which will shine more light on varying projects in that space of the shop? (Note; this is just floor space. A rolling work table may be positioned here (or not). For example, presently my motorcycle is on a lift and the right side is dark - other times there may be a work table here and the part on the table will be dark on one side, and other times a lawnmower on the floor with its right side completely dark.

If someone knowledgeable would just say "Buy the LEDs" or "Buy more florescents" that would be great.

Thanks!

The LEDs stay brighter longer and are instant on (if your shop is cold), a 5000k 2 bulb fixture will give you lots of very pleasant working light. However, I'd you have low ceilings, you will find the light shines downward at a pretty tight angle, leaving areas to the side slightly darker, resulting in needing numerous fixtures. This is the only downside I've found. Former electrician, and I have both in my garage metal shop, and basement woodshop.
I have same colour t8 bulbs side by side led. You cannot tell the difference in brightness by looking at them as both fixtures re rated for 32 watts, but the led light looks clearer and richer, therefore makes the area LOOK brighter.

So, go led if you can afford it (usually 70-100 a fixture)

Walmart sells a 4 foot LED fixture for around $35.00... I have 3 of them and plan to buy more. They are very bright... provide plenty of light. IMO, they are the 'best bang for the buck'. You will spend close to $35 for a 2 bulb fluorescent and not get nearly as much light.

-Bear

OK - led it is. Lowes has 4' Utilitech brand (3600 lumens, 40 watt, 4000k color temp) for $38.

I'm off to Lowes (WallyWorld is out of strip LEDs).

Thanks guys for the instant answers!

Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Over the winter I did this loft in my shop. I had 3 8' florescent lights that needed rebuild so I got to looking at prices and found a 4 pack of 4' leds on Amazon for less money they are under the loft (ha) the over head lights are 400 watt high bay the florescent's on the walls are 110 watt high output.

I like the leds
KIMG0074.jpg

+1 for 4 foot (3 strips each) LED's. I have 6 of them in my 11 x 28' shop extension and another 4 in my 10x15' original shop. My walls are white and it helps but those LED's light up the entire room with no shadows. In my original shop I had 4, two-bulb T8's and they were nowhere near as good. Well, they were okay but then the bulbs dim with time and then they burn out.

How much space are you trying to illuminate?
When I was remodeling my shop, I installed 13 two bulb T8 fixtures (5000k) based off of the best shop light thread over on Garage Journal. The lights were MAXXLITE brand from LED Lighting Wholesale and I couldn't be happier with the results. The fixtures are very inexpensive, the bulbs are pricy but over all it was way cheaper than buying them locally.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Look at the lumen output. From McMaster Carr, typical T8 (1" dia.) fluorescent outputs run around 3,000 lumens for 32 watt and 3700 lumens for a 40 watt.
LED replacements typically run from 1600 to 2400 lumens but there is a catch. LED's are more less directional while fluorescent bulbs emit light in a 360º circle swo LED's generate more usable light5. This is called efficacy and in effect amplifies the amount of usable light. How large is the effect? It's hard to put a number to it but most of the LED's will have a line that says"equivalent to 32 watt".
I haven't done a side by side of the 4ft' lamps but I have done screw-in LED's vs. compact fluorescents and I found that the LED's had about 40 -50% more light for a similar.light rating. This was done using a light meter app on my phone at 4 ft. f4rom the light. It was enough to convinc3e me to go LED.

Back