Broaching Set?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys still working on my lathe and I have two cast iron hand wheels that needs new keyways.Both I believe is maybe 1/8 or 3/16,the old keyways are just wore out from being loose over time.I have never seen a broaching set which means again I'm clueless.So I believe that a set would only be every once in awhile probably used in cast iron and just mild steel I guess,so what would be a decent set to have that's not over the top but maybe on lower end of middle of the road:) My first place to start looking is on ebay and go from there to get an ideal what a set would cost used/new. If possible could anyone shed some light on this please?

Do you have an arbor press? Tough to make use of a broaching set without one.

Since the keyways are short, few in number, and in a relatively soft material, you could cut them by using the lathe as a shaper.

Without an arbor press, you can also use a hydraulic press of sufficient size, or a broaching machine to do the work -- and appropriate sized broaches and shims.

You could grab a pair of "bare" broaches in the two sizes you need for pretty cheap, then make your own bushings as needed. Or you can buy a set or three to cover it. I've got a pretty broad selection myself, even though I don't use them often enough to justify the cost. But they're there when I need them, I don't need to leave home to broach a keyway, and there are few alternative methods that appeal to me. As a lathe owner, being able to cut keyways is a good capability to have. Nearly anything that turns on a shaft can have them. Pulleys, sheaves, gears, that sort of thing.

Like many other things, only buy the broaches you need, sets get you some (most) you'll never use. Buy new, they are the devil to sharpen.

I have a DuMont #00 set that includes 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" broaches. Bushings are 1/4" - 1/2" by 1/16"ths. I picked it up used on eBay for around $100. I have the "same" set from China, used the 1/8" broach once and it doesn't cut nearly as well as my used DuMont. Probably most economical to get just the broach you need and make the bushing.

If you have a couple of hand wheels to do and don't plan other key ways, you can broach them on your lathe with a boring bar and a HSS bit the width of the key way. Mr. Pete has a video on YouTube showing the technique.

Bruce

I found a Dumont set on eBay awhile ago which had a good variety of broaches, but not so many bushings. It seemed to me that getting the right width broach was the key tool, and that I could make a bushing to fit whatever diameter hole needed.
Now after getting the set, I’ve not yet needed to use it.

Seems like it would be fun to try to make a broach using the mill- sharpening it might be challenging tho. Of course it would need hardening and tempering and it might warp a bit

Several years ago I needed a broach for a paying project, but knew it would sit on the shelf most of the time.
I bought an 18-piece Chinese made set for $400 from Busy Bee Tools.
It looks like this:

I do NOT see it on their site now, but I believe it's the equivalent of this Grizzly set:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Keyway-Broach-Sets-18-pc-HSS/G9774

Being of unknown quality I was a little concerned, however it performed perfectly!
I used in my hydraulic press in steel, and the cuttings came off as tight clean curls.
The broach was very sharp and cut beautifully with no tearing.

I have NOT used the set since, but I want the capability in my shop.
That job payed for the tool, so I was happy.

-brino

Back