Broaching Set?

Buy good quality, buy a set, they will last you for the rest of your life!

A while ago I needed to broach a number of keyways. I didn't have a set so I started looking at some of the industrial suppliers and eBay. Much to my surprise the used sets on eBay were selling for neatly as much as the same size new sets from the suppliers. The final price on several 00 size DuMont sets was nearly double the initial bid price.

I started looking for a set from places like Shars, Travers, and other discount houses. I finally ended up with the Shars #20 set for $149.00 when they were on sale. The normal selling price is $289.00, but if you're not in a hurry they often go on sale from either their website or their eBay store Discount Machine. I've used several sizes about a dozen times in the last few months.

It's been a long time since I cut keyways with a broach, but they seemed to do as good a job as the Dumont set we used at work. I'm not sure they would last as long as the Dumont's in an industrial setting, but for my shop the significant difference in price ($600.00 for the Dumont and $150.00 for the Shars) was enough to get my attention.
Shars:

Dumont:

I have broached a 1/16 inch keyway in aluminum using the lathe as a shaper. That's fine for small keyways in soft material. The force required to cut a 3/16" keyway in steel would be an order of magnitude higher. More than I want to subject my little lathe to.

When I needed a steel pulley broached, I found a local fabricating shop that will do little side jobs for cash. I walked in with a $20 bill and left with a broached keyway. Until I need multiple keyways done--or I find a used broach set cheaply--I think this is going to work OK.

Craig

Kroll, I bought a set of Dumont broaches a few days ago at an auction. If you can tell me the diameter of the hole in the gear and exactly what the keyway is, I'll let you know if I've got what's needed. I'd be glad to cut the keyway if you still need to have it done. Even using USPS it shouldn't take but a couple of days to mail a gear each way half way across Texas. I've got both 1/8 and 3/16 cutters and bushings for them from 1/2 to 7/8.

vocatexas thank you so much for the offer.I think that I may not need a broaching set that often but I feel I will need one again some day.Don't know why but I need to tool up for this new to me hobby so I am going to find a small set either used or new.But looks like that maybe the non american made sets sounds like they do work.So for the occasional user this may fit my needs.Guys thanks for all the suggestions

Guys I was off today and I was able to make the most off it,did not start any new projects but I did finish couple old projects which this one included broaching which was the very first for me.As much as I would love to have purchase a good full set I settle for a small used set from auction site which I believe was not used that much.You know when I purchase this I have never seen a broaching set before so I was kinda expecting a big box that was heavy.Today checking the mail was a small box with my newly purchase broaching set,dang it is nice.It has the 3/32A which is what I needed for my lathe hand wheel then has 1/16 broach.This set goes from I believe 1/4 up to 1/2 and there was couple extra pieces that was a free extra from him,don't know they are for but I will learn.OK to the project,I have a hand wheel that has 1/2 bore but no key way which I need it to be 3/32 so here I go.Taking my time cause this new to me tool I would like for it to last longer than first project,so as I pump little I would release and realign little.I be dang guys it works and it fits perfectly.Here's few pics to show that I am making progress on my projects:)Broach1.jpgBroach2.jpgBroach3.jpgHand Wheel.jpgBroach Set.jpgBroach Set1.jpg

Can't go wrong with DuMonts ! :encourage:

Good job, Kroll! I'll bet you end up using that set more than you thought you would. I've broached a couple of small keyways using a hand-ground tool mounted in the toolholder. I need to do a 3/8 so that's why I bought the set I did when I saw it at the auction.

Back