Broken headstock bushing mount on a 03701.

Stefen

Registered
Registered
Hello,

As you can see from the title the headstock has broken around the bushing mount. I was in the process of changing the bushings and if I ever find one the thrust bearing; ( if you know of any crossovers I'm all ears) while the tension piece said goodbye. I even used dry ice to shrink the brass.

My main question is it possible to replace the headstock cast from a newer year? The bed on this unit is the 30". My next question is would you weld it?

I mainly use it for small jobs related to my farm equipment and antique tractor parts. I really don't want to part it out as my grandfather bought this thing brand new back in the late 40s.

Thanks in advance,

Stefen20180705_173643.jpg20180705_173634.jpg20180705_173647.jpg

There are several options: Repair it with epoxy or braze it, or find another headstock of the same type.
I'm not sure if the roller bearing headstock is a bolt-on replacement as far as the gearing on the left side, but it should fit, the spindle thread is different however- you'd have to change your chucks and tooling
mark

Hey Robert , my ebay find is a mica under cut head (07300 with integral counter shaft) will it work for Stefen ?
s-l1600.jpg

Is there enough Material there so you could cross drill through the crack sidways through the thickness of the"bushing mount" material? ( I think thats what it was referred to above). Press in a few pins and mushroom the ends for a nice tight joinery and then add something like JB weld to back up the cross pins you should end up with a pretty strong repair without welding.

Is there enough Material there so you could cross drill through the crack sideways through the thickness of the"bushing mount" material? ( I think that's what it was referred to above). Press in a few pins and mushroom the ends for a nice tight joinery and then add something like JB weld to back up the cross pins you should end up with a pretty strong repair without welding.

It would be close as for material, but that's a good idea.

Looks like you have enough metal to pin..job weld the break.thin coat ..clamp til set up..then drill and pin like stated above

Back