Bronze or Brass

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys let’s say that you were going to make a scribe the size of fountain pen for layout work and your two choices were bronze or brass.Which one would you pick and why?Reason for asking I did not know there were so many choices for both of these type of material

I would probably go for 360 free-machining brass just because it seems easier to get hold of. It's really easy to work with. I also like using 660 bearing bronze for bushings and such, but it's not as readily available in my area. I can get it, just not many people except the boat yards use it around here. I like the colour a bit better (slightly more red) than 360, but either are better than yellow brass in my view.

-frank

360 has my vote too, it's plentiful and reasonably priced
660 has a small amount of lead in it

Yep, I'm with the crowd. 360 cuts like butter and is easy to get a hold of. If you want to have some on hand for projects down the road, https://hobbymetalkits.com/products/brass-360-mini-kit has a kit or two you might be interested in. I think they charge around $10 for shipping. eBay might be a better source if you just want a single stick. You can usually find it there for a good price and availability.

Ted

Stoner metals (I think that's the right name)
On e-bay, prices were reasonable when last I looked ............

Bronze definitely. Tin over zinc anyday

Bronze looks to be on expensive side which I am looking for 24"of 3/8 rod.But these are going to be gifts to few people and will be the first project on my 11" lathe once get it going and tool up for this project.So I want them to look good and safely function for the operator:) So I am also looking for design ideals if anyone would like to share what they made or maybe want to make.Any links,picks or Youtubes of a scribe project?I have watch RR In Shop but I never did see his Youtube of how to make one which he does sell and they look fantastic.But I want to make these and not buy them.

tons of these on youtube. I am a huge fan of Chris and the Clickspring channel. Excellent videos and amazing technique.

Back