Bronze powder Epoxy slurry

Do a Google search for Loctite Fixmaster Metal Rebuilding. Looks like putties and pourable liquid epoxies.

Thanks for posting Bryan. This Fixmaster stuff contains iron powder so probably not as good as using bronze or zinc for a sliding
surface. It looks like I am going to have to mix up my own formula.

Now that's the spirit! Please share the recipe and results!

I think the spirit is suffering in this country. We are a country of texters and cell phone aficionados except for the
few us us who spend time in the shop and actually accomplish something. So hats off to all the doers in the world.
Nobody makes gun powder out of pigeon krap any more or make their own soap. Just order stuff on your smart fone
and have FedEx deliver it to your door. Hey, that was fun! I'm done with my rant now......:grin:

I don't know why you need to fill. It must be really bad. But I would bet a braze would be way better than epoxy. Silicone bronze maybe. The shaping after is the only issue. Your going to have to use die/mold making files to get into some spots.

The problems with bronze fillers or even nickel-silver brazing up a surface, is it very hard to scrape and get good consistent markings. Brass or bronze is easier than nickel-silver is to scrape, both have issues though. Myself, if the surfaces have deep gouges or like under the saddle on the lathe, heavy wear, I would suggest Moglice or the Devcon product over any special "brew" for filling in or building up surfaces.

As for glue in strips like Rulon or Tercite, Think about Micarta. That's what I grew up using on some of the machine rebuilds I worked on. Lot cheaper, money wise!

Ken

The problems with bronze fillers or even nickel-silver brazing up a surface, is it very hard to scrape and get good consistent markings. Brass or bronze is easier than nickel-silver is to scrape, both have issues though. Myself, if the surfaces have deep gouges or like under the saddle on the lathe, heavy wear, I would suggest Moglice or the Devcon product over any special "brew" for filling in or building up surfaces.

As for glue in strips like Rulon or Tercite, Think about Micarta. That's what I grew up using on some of the machine rebuilds I worked on. Lot cheaper, money wise!

Ken

I like that. I will do some studying on Micarta. Thanks, Ken.

I don't know why you need to fill. It must be really bad. But I would bet a braze would be way better than epoxy. Silicone bronze maybe. The shaping after is the only issue. Your going to have to use die/mold making files to get into some spots.
There is about 15 thousandths wear on the bed by the head stock so I figure the saddle would have about that much wear as well.
I don't know if there is anyway to measure the wear on the saddle. I guess there might be but I won't know until I rip it apart and
see what I can see...

I think the spirit is suffering in this country. We are a country of texters and cell phone aficionados except for the
few us us who spend time in the shop and actually accomplish something. So hats off to all the doers in the world.
Nobody makes gun powder out of pigeon krap any more or make their own soap. Just order stuff on your smart fone
and have FedEx deliver it to your door. Hey, that was fun! I'm done with my rant now......:grin:

Now I get where you are coming from...but I'm also firm believer in not reinventing the wheel! I did a little more research on the Devcon website tonight, looks like they have another product that is designed for high wear resistance and low friction = they specifically call out lathe machine beds in the product description. If you come up with a home brew recipe for the equivalent of this, I'm all ears!

Here is the link: Devcon Wear Resistant Putty (WR-2)

Sorry I didn't find it earlier!

Well, that has crossed my mind too. As an experiment, it would be fun to try and see how well it works. If no one ever tries this,
we won't know will we? I was looking at Turcite but it gets expensive to buy all the stuff you need for that process.

It has been tried and failed. Moglice is the product with which I have seen the best success provided the Mfg. instruction are followed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back