Bronze powder Epoxy slurry

Thank you all for weighing in on the subject. I'm sure that if I have to do some fill in work on the saddle that there are
several ways to go about it successfully. I'm somewhat concerned about saddle wear because I see the rack has been
shimmed. I have had the saddle off a few years ago and it isn't seriously grooved so maybe could just scrape it flat and
do some flaking. I'm certainly not an expert on this subject and realize that some of you are well experienced at it.
I can see that this refurbishment project will take a while. If I scrape and flake, will it matter if the saddle ends up .030 inch
lower than it was in new condition? My thought is that it probably wouldn't matter as long as I get the ways straight and
saddle fitting properly. Is there a good reason to fill in with one of these surfacing materials so the saddle is raised back up
to where it was when new? Will it have better sliding properties? It's a pretty old lathe so not expecting perfection, I just
want to make improvements where reasonably possible. View media item 95777
Here's a photo of the Springfield Ideal Lathe, vintage probably 1930's I would guess...

It has been tried and failed. Moglice is the product with which I have seen the best success provided the Mfg. instruction are followed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was taking a look at a thread on another forum and the consensus over there is the same: Moglice seems to be the preferred material in the work of machine tool rebuilding.

cathead,

There is nothing wrong with re scraping or machining the bed straight and flat again and likewise with the saddle. As long as you realize you have to drop the rack and leadscrew and feed rod to compensate for the materials removed from each. And I believe you have already mentioned that. There are several articles out there on applying and the use of Moglice on the saddle and other types of slides. Go here for more details on Moglice

http://www.moglice.com/

Here is my thread on the application and use of Moglice.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tion/application-moglice-saddle-lathe-305535/

If you have time to read up on Moglice, there are 22 pages of results using the word "Moglice" on their site. Wish we had that much information available to us here on our site.

Ken

cathead,

There is nothing wrong with re scraping or machining the bed straight and flat again and likewise with the saddle. As long as you realize you have to drop the rack and leadscrew and feed rod to compensate for the materials removed from each. And I believe you have already mentioned that. There are several articles out there on applying and the use of Moglice on the saddle and other types of slides. Go here for more details on Moglice

http://www.moglice.com/

Here is my thread on the application and use of Moglice.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tion/application-moglice-saddle-lathe-305535/

If you have time to read up on Moglice, there are 22 pages of results using the word "Moglice" on their site. Wish we had that much information available to us here on our site.

Ken

OK, I think I have a fairly good understanding now. I will research"Moglice". Thanks Ken.

Look up Belzona supermetal. We use it at work to fill imperfections before lathe and or mill work. Much like JBweld on steroids! Hard as a rock when cured. Check it out

Look up Belzona supermetal. We use it at work to fill imperfections before lathe and or mill work. Much like JBweld on steroids! Hard as a rock when cured. Check it out
I looked at their site and got more and more excited, until I found that the smallest size sold is 1 kg (2.2 lb.) and ~$100.00. I would need to be a cat and have nine lives for that to make sense, for me. Your mileage may vary...

Whatever product one chooses for this kind of operation, grab a die grinder and undercut the edges of the low spot right out to the edges of the good surface. It's necessary to avoid problems with a feather edge and the fill will be much more stable.

There's a home made version of moglice I found. Think it was epoxy resin powdered bronze,graphite, aluminum, some type of molybdenum and zeospheres? I think the zeospheres are some type of epoxy filler. Possibly like glass microballons which I wouldn't think would be a good idea. Could try googling" do it yourself moglice" I thinks that's what I searched.

There's a home made version of moglice I found. Think it was epoxy resin powdered bronze,graphite, aluminum, some type of molybdenum and zeospheres? I think the zeospheres are some type of epoxy filler. Possibly like glass microballons which I wouldn't think would be a good idea. Could try googling" do it yourself moglice" I thinks that's what I searched.

Yes, Thanks. I will check into that. Today I took the free play out of my cross feed by pouring molten leaded babbitt into
cross feed screw threads. It took away about 80% of the lost motion at least for now. I expect I will have to make further repairs
eventually, probably a Moglice repair...

I actually just looked it up again and had better results using "homemade moglice"seems I'd forgotten the recipe included powdered Teflon and some use hexagonal boron nitride

Back