Bronze vs Brass bushing

Monk

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm making a die filer. I saw a project by Billy G a while back that used Brass bushings for the shafts in his. I'm thinking of using stainless for the shafts. Do you think that Brass will hold up for light use?

Bronze sleeve bushings or bronze bearings are hard and strong, as opposed to brass bushings, which are softer and more easily deform. Thus, bronze bushings have longer lifespans than brass bushing sleeves. They resist shock and impact, wear and corrosion.
alloy 544 phosphor bronze, sae 660(less expensive),954 aluminumm bronze,and 841 oil impregnated bronze.All readily available.

Bronze sleeve bushings or bronze bearings are hard and strong, as opposed to brass bushings, which are softer and more easily deform. Thus, bronze bushings have longer lifespans than brass bushing sleeves. They resist shock and impact, wear and corrosion.
alloy 544 phosphor bronze, sae 660(less expensive),954 aluminumm bronze,and 841 oil impregnated bronze.All readily available.
Thanks. That was the impression I had. I've got brass stock on hand, and some bronze that is almost too small. Trying to go the cheap route just now as money is scarce.

Brass is a very poor bearing material, and stainless, depending on the type, makes a poor job as well, tending to get lots of scratches and galls.

Brass is a very poor bearing material, and stainless, depending on the type, makes a poor job as well, tending to get lots of scratches and galls.
Thanks.

I'm making a die filer. I saw a project by Billy G a while back that used Brass bushings

For a die filer, the lower bushings will get some granular additions; brass (soft, embeds things) or even plastic might
be just as good as bronze, and if the design keeps 'em replaceable, wear isn't a killer issue. I'd worry about stainless,
it has hard (chromium) oxides on its surface, which can become abrasive grains. Rust, on the other hand, is softer than steel, so iron
oxides crumble and wash away.

Thanks again to all.

Back