Brought her home today ! I`m gonna like playin with her 10EEs...

AJ

Registered
Registered
If you read my last post you know I was about to pick up a Monarch 10EE from the widow of my dads close friend. Well I went there today to bring her the $2k we agreed on and she told me that she was up all night thinking about the price we agreed upon and how it just did`t feel right. I explained it`s all I have to spend and as she knows I just bought a new house and could`t afford any more without possibly hurting my finances. She said she understood but I was getting things all wrong. I was told that in good conscience she could`t accept money from me after all I did for the family many years ago when they needed someone ...So with great humility I accepted. This lathe needs work there`s no doubt about that but even if I put 10k into her it`ll be well worth it...Now I present my Monarch 10EE...I am like a little girl before prom night right now ! LMAO Why does this thing have 2 motors ??
...N20181130_143839.jpg20181130_143908.jpg20181130_143936.jpg20181130_143957.jpg20181130_143741.jpg

You need to get yourself to the Practical Machinest Monarch forum. Lots of very knowledgeable 10EE guys there with lots of threads on everything about them. My understanding it uses a motor/generator to run on DC. Some use rectifier tubes. I think some have a third motor to excite the main motors. There's a whole lot of electrical monkey motion going on. Most guys love them. Have fun and good luck...............Bob

Yep, you have what is called an MG (motor generator) set. A three phase motor drives a DC generator to power the DC motor.

I agree practical machinist has a huge number of threads and helpful folks.

I have the exact same lathe. I removed my MG set and went with a 3 phase motor and VFD. This is an excellent, almost required, upgrade to this machine.

Reactions: AJ
Yep, you have what is called an MG (motor generator) set. A three phase motor drives a DC generator to power the DC motor.

I agree practical machinist has a huge number of threads and helpful folks.

I have the exact same lathe. I removed my MG set and went with a 3 phase motor and VFD. This is an excellent, almost required, upgrade to this machine.
I have a 6-7 hp DC VFD motor ready to go in..BUT she won`t run for about a year, maybe 8 months. I`m doing a complete restoration. It`ll be better then new when I`m done OR a pile of shyte that never cuts again. Could go either way, LOL

Only two motors because the stand didn't have room for three.

Bruce

I'll tell ya what I ever got from any friends of my folks..., it sure as heck never was like a 10EE...

Not sure what sort of a VFD you would use with a DC motor, although arguable a brushless DC motor controller counts as a VFD.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a 6-7 hp DC VFD motor ready to go in..BUT she won`t run for about a year, maybe 8 months. I`m doing a complete restoration. It`ll be better then new when I`m done OR a pile of shyte that never cuts again. Could go either way, LOL

You wouldn't connect power and see if it runs? Perhaps it runs perfectly well with the drive system it has then wouldn't have to plan to replace it. Also it would be helpful to run it to see what is might need for the restoration itself, check bearings, hear the gears, etc..

Back