Brought her home today ! I`m gonna like playin with her 10EEs...

You wouldn't connect power and see if it runs?

I bought a couple of machines from a guy shutting down shop. They had been idle for months, not cleaned in years (if not decades). They sat for a couple weeks after I got the three-phase wired up, while I cleaned and re-lubricated them.

Glad I waited instead of firing them right up - the old oil (probably 40 weight) was gummed up inside and needed a kero flush, and hauling the machines up the dirt road I live on caused swarf to creep into just about every bearing surface.

Exciter motor mounts atop the M/G and is driven by a single vee belt...................
Sorry, my attempt at subtle humor. Woody Hayes went for 2 after a touchdown even with a 30+ point lead. The press asked why he went for two, "because I couldn't go for three".

Bruce

Sorry, my attempt at subtle humor. Woody Hayes went for 2 after a touchdown even with a 30+ point lead. The press asked why he went for two, "because I couldn't go for three".

Bruce

Yup. Went right over my head but not a problem.................Bob

You wouldn't connect power and see if it runs? Perhaps it runs perfectly well with the drive system it has then wouldn't have to plan to replace it. Also it would be helpful to run it to see what is might need for the restoration itself, check bearings, hear the gears, etc..
From what I can tell it looks to be 220 3phase but I have no idea what I`m looking at(don`t even know if that sounds right?). My buddy is on his way over, he`s an electrician..Gonna stop by my house before we hit the bike show at the Javitz Center..also the ways are a little clapped out so the reason for the resto...Go big or go home ! I just want to do it right and not put band-aids on it. I am going to run it up first to see if there are any other issues

Last edited:
Not sure what sort of a VFD you would use with a DC motor, although arguable a brushless DC motor controller counts as a VFD.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a motor and VFD from a horse track tread mill. Between 6-8Hp I forget. It`s small and I would think more efficient ?

The 10EE is a special lathe and they have a strong following.

Consider this: Look it over to see what you have and what condition it is in. If it does indeed have the original drive and it works you might be able to do something beside tear it down and change to a VFD system. Get to know the 10EE forum, see whom is there, find out more about the machine. Then ask in the forum if someone would like to trade you their 10EE that they have already converted motors and one that has been referbed. Someone might like a chance at a stock machine and would gladly trade you for what you have. You end up with a nicely re-done machine and they get a chance to work on a stock one. All subject to condition of the machine on both sides. Most types of machines there would be no interest in that type of trade but this one is special. No one might be interested but if so you save lots of work and time and end up with a nice 10EE already ready to go.

Reactions: AJ
I have a motor and VFD from a horse track tread mill. Between 6-8Hp I forget. It`s small and I would think more efficient ?

That would be plenty IF you keep the backgear. That's exactly what I did on mine => more work less $. There is a beautiful rebuild thread on this site where the back gear was put into a new housing.

The ways are chromed on the 10EE. I would be surprised if you have significant wear, but it is possible. OTOH, I could see the tailstock shaft needs a bit of TLC.

If you machine runs as is, keep the existing drive. But you quickly get in too deep trying to repair this antique drive.

The motor/generator combo predates the thyratron drive? If that's the case, swapping that out for a modern DC motor drive would probably be a big win, especially if you can sell off the motor/generator pair.

Using an AC motor to generate DC for a DC motor is a pretty convoluted solution to get variable speed. If it was the thyratron drive, is be more inclined to keep it—i find the notion of pumping all the power for a big machine tool through some vacuum tubes to be pretty fascinating.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back