Brown and Sharp 10" Rotary Table Restore Help (pics)

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have received off Ebay a nice old 10" Brown and Sharp Rotary Table.
I am seeking advise on taking it down to degrease, de rust and reassemble to it's original finish.
If you have experience with this table please help.
The little dismantling I have done shows just a bit of surface rust, once I removed the bottom retaining nut I found no rust between the spacer, nut and table. There are no tooling marks on the lock nut indicating little or no tear down. I think I have something here that will serve me well.
Thank you for your help.

b and s 3 (2).JPG

b and s 2 (1).JPG

b and s underside.JPG

b and s label.JPG

Just shift the worm out of mesh with the eccentric device behind the crank handle, and you can lift the table off, then the worm assembly can be pulled out once its retaining screw is removed.

Not sure about the age of the rotary table, B & S usually included a parts break down of the accessories in the parts book to the milling machine. John beat me to the rest of the disassembly.

The nameplate design suggests late 1930s or 1940s, the universal head on my #2 universal looks the same and dates to 1943.
BTW, don't forget the E in Brown & Sharpe ---- In the partnership, Brown was the mechanical genius, Sharpe was the businessman; the Sharpe family ended up running things until they went under. I got a poor tour of the plant in 1970, did not get to see very much, but they did have an excellent cafeteria! The plant in North Kingston had about 1.25 million square feet of floor space under one roof, mostly on one floor level.

Mr. Ben, I can’t seem to unlock the cam. I took off the handle, and all the related dial, locks etc. the cam centric is now exposed, I carefully grabbed it with some giant channel locks - will stone those teeth marks. It seems to be stuck, the table turns smooth as glass. I know there is oil in the base, bearings, etc. need to shift the cam somehow to free up the table separation.
Will try to attach pics, not always able to on this site. Maybe tomorrow.
I’m frustrated, going to stop for now.

Back