Brown and Sharpe 618 Micromaster Hydraulic Table Help Please

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter

The video shows my problem in anut shell.
Fluid is new and correct. All Bijur metering valves have been replaced and all is oiling properly.
Does anyone know why or what I can look into to repair this table jogging issue?
Thank you!

Looks like when you move that lever it makes it work correctly, correct? If so, is there a switch in there that needs adjusting or maybe more pressure on a return spring to make it go to home position faster or easier?

Maybe wrap 2-3 wraps of tape around the wheel on the kick-out lever and see if that makes a difference.
If it does, then you have it narrowed down to something on that side. Maybe linkage inside or underneath
is out of adjustment...???

Is there a detent on the pivot shaft ?? It could be worn or have a weak spring and not holding it in place .........

I tried adjusting the dogs to increase or exaggerate the kick for the return with no success.
The table return works with the cross slide when engaged. There is no change in operation regardless how I have it adjusted.
The manual says to bleed the system by having full table strokes and running it for some time. This I have done.
I'm not aware of any additional bleeding methods which may still be the problem as it sometimes returns normally.
It could be an adjustment, I just don't have a clue.
Not sure about the detents?
Someone mentioned a hydraulic leak, the only way I know of checking is to remove the cover and watch it operate.
I am including a page that breaks out the table valve and some of the hydraulics.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190805113659.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 12
It’s gonna have something to do with the selector valve Assy. Either internal return spring inside valve Assy. or is their a external spring which puts the lever in neutral? It looks like when you help it go in the problem goes away correct? Their had to be some sort of spring on or in valve to neutral lever.

Is there a detent on the pivot shaft ?? It could be worn or have a weak spring and not holding it in place .........

It doesn't look like there are any springs, the beauty and simplicity of hydraulics is a piston or plunger is moved to redirect flow correct?
I'm wondering if there is debris or a split o-ring that is allowing leakage.
Now that I think about this, the reversing shaft (15) sends a mechanical message to the block in the lower left.
There is either an o-ring or packing intermitently bleeding by or there is still air in the system.
With hydraulics, if there is inconsistency or erratic behavior, air in the system is usually the culprit IMHO.
Anyone know of another bleeding method?

Last edited:
I took a look at you breakdown. Can you access the linkage easily from the lever to the hydraulic box. It looks like the box controls your table speed and direction. Check the obvious first #33 is how the linkage pivots from make sure it’s tight. #28 is the arm that comes off directional input shaft of box. Make sure it’s tight to shaft and not loosing motion. 35,31 looks like linkage for adjusting center or limits on the linkage. It would be nice to see actual linkage and watch the stroke of each movement to narrow down.

Just got a quote from Bourn and Koch . To evaluate the valve = $750. To rebuild- $3,500- $5,000.
I paid a heck of a lot less than that for the SG. Now I know why :)

I'll check it out tonight Mr. Cadillac Man.

Back