Brown and Sharpe 618 Micromaster Hydraulic Table Help Please

The cam is just not pushing the roller far enough. I would increase the size of the roller or shim the cam out another 1/8 inch or more. If needed, change the shape of the cam, may need a steeper ramp. Also make sure the roller is very free to rotate. The cam could be dragging on it.

I've never been impressed with the hydraulics on the Micromaster. Had nothing but problems with the one I used to run.

Last edited:
Jim,
I don't know much about these machines. This one came to me via a retired master machinist friend.
Based on the thorough inspection and maintenance I have recently performed, this 50+ year old machine is in very good condition.
I have researched and read as much as I could find out on these machines, this is the first time I have heard a negative remark.
You ran one, you have an opinion, I respect that.
I'll try to increase the diameter or simulate a higher angle on the table feed.
Maybe between Cadillac's suggestion and yours, I can find a fix for this. ALL other functions work perfectly.
Thank you for your help

We had a Boyar Schultz Challenger equivalent that did not do well. Leaked and erratic movements. Made it difficult to do proper work. It died and we shed no tears on its demise.
Pierre

The rest of the machine is great, I loved the work it did. Just the hydraulics that gave me problems, never could get that to work correctly and reliably.

If you don't use the adjustable stops to work the directional value and just do it yourself, by hand, does everything work OK? If you can control it properly by just manually moving the table travel directional value by hand, then something is up with the stops that does it automatically. If you can't control it properly by hand, then looks to me like something is up with the internals.

Just a thought,
Ted

If you can get a breakdown of the valve itself it would give a lot of info. From my experience their isn’t gonna be orings controlling any flow. The valve is most likely gonna be a cast block with a spool valve kind of like this
image.jpg
When the lever moves it moves the spool to align with ports in the block and in return you get flow left or right depending on which way it is stroked.
External leaking or cylinder not stroking yeah it would be a oring. I would think it’s gonna be a slight adjustment in the linkage to properly stroke the valve.
One way to verify would be disconnect linkage at the valve and manually stroke the valve in each direction. If works as should see where the linkage is falling short and adjust. If the problem still exist then it has to be in the valve which the spool could be gummed up but not much can just go wrong in there. Wallowed bore maybe which would give bleed by or a scored spool which would cause issues but doesn’t seem like what your experiencing.

Bottom line; there are no springs, no O rings, and no detents and no seals in the MicroMaster control system, just close fits and controlled seepage back to the hydraulic reservoir, having said that, I am at a loss to figure out what is causing the problem.

In the diagram the bolt #27 looks like it can be used to balance the reversing lever movement.

There is slop in the linkage.
Yes, I can manually work the gate with zero failure.
I added some diameter to the reversing lever #20.
No change, I noticed the reversing lever causes a direction change about half way up the ramp.
I agree, I think I can make some adjustments that may be beneficial.

So I was looking on another site and found some info on your machine. Looks like their is some internal filters that are to be cleaned if sitting. Also found a schematic of locations and hard to read directions. They talk about the spool getting gummed up too idk? It looks like everything is moving good, do you feel pressure on the lever when it does the bump or no? Honestly I was surprised to see a hydraulic system like that dripping and leaking like that. I understand it all just use to a sealed system were as it's leaking there's your problem. Then containment of fluid in a grinding machine I'm sure it's sealed just odd to me. Not knockin it I've heard only good things of the machines just thinking out loud. Good luck

image.pngimage.png

Back