Brown And Sharpe No 2 Surface Grinder Manual

StrayAlien

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

Looking for an operator manual for the above machine. I've got a PDF of the parts breakdown from vintage machinery org. Anybody got a PDF? Hoping to avoid the $50 US for reprint.

All help and advice appreciated.

Greg.

I am just finishing going through a 1946-1947 B & S #2L surface grinder, seems to be about the same as the straight #2. I have what appears to be the original 1946 manual for it that shows operation and maintenance as well as parts, and some accessories. It is later than the one on Vintage Machinery, which is a 1956 reprint of a 1936 parts manual. I have it saved on my computer as well as printed out. If nothing else I could scan the few pertinent operation pages and email them to you. There were quite a few changes in the 4 decades B & S made those grinders, and different drives, spindles, and other parts. There have also been a lot of modifications made to many of these grinders over the decades. I have some links to threads on other machining sites where there are useful discussions about these grinders on various topics. Warning, there is a lot of misinformation out there, be careful what you believe and who you trust.

The gentleman I got mine from has had several of these grinders, knows what he is doing, and is being quite helpful.

If you need some help beyond the operation manual, I have done considerable study on these grinders and am starting to get a pretty good idea of what all those whirling gears, ratchets, pawls, dog clutches, and other mysterious pieces actually do, and what to do when they are not working correctly. Mine is now running, presently getting the plain bearing spindle I rebuilt broken in, and I am working on learning how to make the power feeds work smoothly, accurately, and reliably. Let me know how I can help you, warning, I am a novice with this grinder.

The serial number of my machine is 17047. What is yours? Feel free to PM me if you want to.

Bob, thanks for the reply. Actually, I don't have the machine as yet. I put a 'wanted' ad in the Australian equivalent of Craig's List for an old grinder looking for a good home and got a nibble yesterday. The good thing it is free, that bad thing is it is not completed assembled. Part of a deceased estate and the reason for the disassembly is unknown. There are a number of other partly disassembled machines as well - so it could have been being torn down for a refresh and paint, or it could be a complete basket case with a bent spindle. Who knows. I also have no idea of what level of disassembly it has undergone. I'll only be able to see it next weekend. Oh, and apparently some of it has been left outside in the weather .. so it ain't going to be pretty!

Confession: I have never even touched a surface grinder (which makes me *pre*-novice!) so the reason for the manual is to understand how it operates so when looking at any boxes of parts or whatever I can identify sub-sections of operational functionality and kind of count them off. Hopefully it is all there, but if I find that lots of stuff is missing then it might just save me try to load 1300lbs of basket case onto the trailer for later disappointment! ... and expense.

I know it is a big ask, but is there any chance of you scanning the manual? It might be the first of many virtual beers I owe you! It probably doesn't matter greatly the year and small changes - operationally, from what I can see they were pretty similar over the years. Armed with the parts list and an operation manual I can hopefully work backwards and visualise how they fit together.

I have found no detailed online rebuild thread so, all being good with the machine, if I can I'll be looking to document it pretty thoroughly for future B&S No 2 restorers - like am doing with the Alba 1A 10" shaper getting some love here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...d-history/alba-1a-teardown-inspection-318418/

Maybe, if it goes well next weekend your brains and experience and my brawn can document stuff to help future restorers.

Greg.

PS. hey, I just realised my status here is 'swarf'! Hah! I reckon that is about the truth!

Unfortunately I will not be available for the next few days, but I could scan some of it later in the week if that works for you. If you have the parts manual off Vintage Machinery, you would only need about 10 pages or so to see how it runs. I will send you a PM now.

Back