Brown & Sharpe #2 Vertical Milling Lt.

ddushane

Active User
Registered
Hey guys, I just got aBrown & Sharpe #2 Vertical Milling Lt. as a Christmas gift from a good friend of mine, I ordered a operating manual from ebay for it but it's not the right one, it's for a newer model than mine,
I ran onto a list of serial #'s & dates, and from what I can tell mine was built around 1938, the serial # is 1399. Does anyone know where I can get a operation manual for it. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me on this. I don't know anything about knee mills, I've been wanting one for a long time, this one came with quite a few collets, a couple of boxes of end mills, and some other stuff. I'm cleaning up on it at this time. It has a 10"x 50" table, here's a picture from a parts manual, Thanks in advance for any help with any information it.

Dwayne

Brown & Sharpe #2 Vertical Milling Lt..JPG

Brown & Sharpe #2 Vertical Milling Lt..JPG

Mike, that's the one I bought, that a little newer model than the one I have, But thank for the try, it's close but not the same.

No Sir, that is the same one Mike posted, it's close but there are several differences, I've got an original copy of this one you two posted. Sure wish it was the one I'm needing. Not knowing what everything is and when to & when not to engage stuff kinda has me nervous,

Dwayne

It may not exist. I've got a horizontal B&S from the teens and have been looking for a manual for years. One old timer told me there were no manuals way back then; it was expected that the new guy in the shop would learn how to use the machine from a seasoned employee.

No first hand knowledge of course, just something I heard.

I hope that's not true, don't know anyone around here that has ever seen one of these, O well, I guess just a bigger learning curve to get past. Thanks for the input,

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Can you post some pictures of your B & S mill?

I used to own a No. 3 B & S mill born around 1910-1912. S/N 865. I'm very surprised that S/N 1399 is around 1938. I would have guessed somewhere in the 1920's.

As for finding a operations manual for a B & S mill, I highly doubt you will find one for a mill of any age. B & S just didn't write up operations manual for mills. They just did part manuals for mills. And the part manuals usually were written to cover several sizes and types all in one. You can go to the source, Bourn & Koch Machine Tool Co. They may be able to provide you with the correct parts manual of your mill if they have records of your mill on file. If they have something on file and want a copy of it, be prepared to pay $$$ for it!

Ken

EDIT: Find you a copy of the Audels Machinists Book. It has the most valuable chapter on running milling machines. And they use B & S mills in most of their operations in the book. It's where I learned all there was about B & S mills many years ago.

Dwayne,

Can you post some pictures of your B & S mill?

I used to own a No. 3 B & S mill born around 1910-1912. S/N 865. I'm very surprised that S/N 1399 is around 1938. I would have guessed somewhere in the 1920's.

As for finding a operations manual for a B & S mill, I highly doubt you will find one for a mill of any age. B & S just didn't write up operations manual for mills. They just did part manuals for mills. And the part manuals usually were written to cover several sizes and types all in one. You can go to the source, Bourn & Koch Machine Tool Co. They may be able to provide you with the correct parts manual of your mill if they have records of your mill on file. If they have something on file and want a copy of it, be prepared to pay $$$ for it!

Ken

EDIT: Find you a copy of the Audels Machinists Book. It has the most valuable chapter on running milling machines. And they use B & S mills in most of their operations in the book. It's where I learned all there was about B & S mills many years ago.

Ken, Thanks for the comment, I'm not sure about the year on my mill, I found something somewhere showing the serial #'s and year of manufacturing. As close as I could figure by what I was reading, mine should've fallen in between 1937 & 1939. But I'm not sure at all. Since this post started I have gotten 3ph wired into my shop for the Mill, surfacing machine, old Logan Lathe & my Little Giant Power hammers. I've been playing with the mill, and have figured out everything on it except the lever on the top left side called the "starting lever". I've done some cleaning on it but still have a long way to go. Everything works on it. Powered Knee, table in/out & side to side. All the gears sound good through all the speeds and back gears, all of the table feeds. Table travel is 1/2" per min up to 18 1/4" per min. Coolant pump was froze up but got it working as well. Still have to clean the base up & the coolant reservoir. I'll try to get pictures of the "serial #'s and year of manufacturing" page and better pictures of the mill. It's 99% like the one I posted pictures of at the beginning of this thread. Thanks again.

Dwayne

Back