Brown & Sharpe 2B surface grinder - questions

I know your not ready for any wheels yet, but I have quite a few I'd like to move.
I might be interested in some wheels depending on what you have. PM me (called "conversations" here.)
Thanks,
-Bob

I'd love to get more wheels also!

Update: I finished the spindle/motor retrofit today and tested things out. I went with a 1HP single phase motor to replace the 440V 3-phase it came with. If the motor could have been connected for 220V I would have just bought a VFD, but being only 440V presented issues and going single phase was the lesser of the evils.

Anyways, the so far the spindle runs fine! The only noise I can hear is the TEFC motor running. I just hooked it up to power to test things before going any farther and I ground a test piece on both sides. Finish was good considering the machine isn't level and all four corners of the base aren't touching the floor... For grins I checked the piece on my granite surface plate and it was out of parallel 0.0012", which is better than I expected since I haven't dusted the top of the magnetic chuck yet. So, hopefully doing that will bring things in closer.

Still have quite a bit of work to do to finish it up and make up some tooling i.e. diamond dresser holder, etc.. I'll need to pick up a couple of additional wheel adapters and a puller as well. Then, a couple of different wheels.

I'll post pictures of the machine once it's finished and painted. Below is the design I came up with in Fusion 360 for the retrofit. I used a LoveJoy coupling to drive the spindle. The motor looks bulkier than the original, but it actually weighs 11 lbs less! Those old motors are HEAVY!

Is the original 440V motor rotor and stator worth trying to sell? I guess if someone needed one they would be hard to come by??? The rotor is keyed and can be pressed off what's left of the motor/spindle shaft.

Ted

B&S Surface Grinder Spindle Retrofit.jpg

Cool, I thought maybe you got it in MA as I was trying to buy the same model machine from a gent on craigslist who unfortunately ignored my calls and emails. He wanted just over scrap as well.

Back