brown & sharpe 618 micromaster project needs a new home

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
hi. I bought a brown and Sharpe 618 micrometer surface grinder a while back sight unseen. as it turned out it must have been bumped by a crane in the shop I got it from. all the casting are in great shape however the lead screw for the y axis was bent. I took the axis assembley apart and took the lead screw out. it had a slight bend in the rear portion. I was going to cut off the part with the bend and splice a new section of acme threaded rod onto the rest of the lead screw portion and it will be good to go. howerve I changed jobs and never got the time to do the project. I have to move now and do not want to take the project with me. the machine sits under a over hand outside my shop and has been covered. there is light surface rust on some of the ways but all and all the machine is in workble condition. I do not feel the machine is worth much in its current condition and I would hope someone can pickup where I fell short. it has a magnetic chuck and a neutrofier chuck controlled system. I could part out the chuck and controls for a bit of money and that is where I see most of the sellable value being at the moment. the machine weighs 2200lbs and is not too bad to move. the table is removed and is inside the shop and in good shape. I do not want to take it with me but I may have to if it doesn't find a home. the machine is located in sebastopol California 95472 zip. I will entertain any and all reasonable offers or potential trades. I will let go for very little if you dont want the magnetic chuck and neutrofier controls. please dont
hesitate to make any offer or ask any questions that you may have. more than anything I want to see it go to a good home.
Thanks

If you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the wheel guard and maybe the spindle assy if it's ball bearing.

Can you post the serial number of the machine. Should be on a large tag mounted on back of the machine on the base.

I have the Valuemaster version of this SG.

Ken

I was originally going to part it out. I know I will get more of my money back if I decide to part it out. I was going to buy the lead screw from the company that owns the rights to all the parts and specs and production rights of brown and Sharpe micrometer a d surface grinders. they were going to charge me 1600$ for just the lead screw. lol. couldn't do that.. what would you be offering for the parts you listed. the machine never saw a production environment. it was bought new by a collector and It got bumped and set aside it looked to have less then hobbyist use when I bought it. thanks for the interest.

If I did not already have one, I might be interested; they are a incredible piece of machinery.

Hey, it's a salvageable boat anchor IMO. I have several boat anchors I've salvaged over the years, most I still have and supplement to my income once in a while, too.

I can't imagine that it would be a big job to make a new screw and possibly the nut as well, as long as nothing else is broken.

Back