brown & sharpe 618 micromaster project needs a new home

I made a new threaded screw portion and spliced it into the old stub of the old lead screw. Worked out fine. The nut on mine was worn but not enough I wanted to make another one. That nut is a nightmare to remove, too.
His is about the same age as my Valuemaster is. His has the roller bearing ways just like mine and also the continuous fed oiling system. I think he ought to keep it and move it with the rest of his equipment.

I made a new threaded screw portion and spliced it into the old stub of the old lead screw. Worked out fine. The nut on mine was worn but not enough I wanted to make another one. That nut is a nightmare to remove, too.
His is about the same age as my Valuemaster is. His has the roller bearing ways just like mine and also the continuous fed oiling system. I think he ought to keep it and move it with the rest of his equipment.

To make anew lead screw and matching nut would be big job. It's not just a length of Acme threaded rod. That's why the new one is so expensive. It's a very accurate lead screw. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are very nice surface grinders when assembled and in proper working order. It would be nice if somebody here on the forum took on the project. The lead screw can be dealt with without breaking the bank, if the rest of the machine is indeed all there and in decent condition. That grinder takes up a fair amount of floor space, but well worth it if you can make it fit in your shop.

hi. I bought a brown and Sharpe 618 micrometer surface grinder a while back sight unseen. as it turned out it must have been bumped by a crane in the shop I got it from. all the casting are in great shape however the lead screw for the y axis was bent. I took the axis assembley apart and took the lead screw out. it had a slight bend in the rear portion. I was going to cut off the part with the bend and splice a new section of acme threaded rod onto the rest of the lead screw portion and it will be good to go. howerve I changed jobs and never got the time to do the project. I have to move now and do not want to take the project with me. the machine sits under a over hand outside my shop and has been covered. there is light surface rust on some of the ways but all and all the machine is in workble condition. I do not feel the machine is worth much in its current condition and I would hope someone can pickup where I fell short. it has a magnetic chuck and a neutrofier chuck controlled system. I could part out the chuck and controls for a bit of money and that is where I see most of the sellable value being at the moment. the machine weighs 2200lbs and is not too bad to move. the table is removed and is inside the shop and in good shape. I do not want to take it with me but I may have to if it doesn't find a home. the machine is located in sebastopol California 95472 zip. I will entertain any and all reasonable offers or potential trades. I will let go for very little if you dont want the magnetic chuck and neutrofier controls. please dont
hesitate to make any offer or ask any questions that you may have. more than anything I want to see it go to a good home.
Thanks
Is the machine still available? I have a friend who may be interested, please give contact info, contact me at york@napanet.net
John York

hi. yes the machine is available. I have been out of town and have not had time to deal with the machine yet. pm me if you still have interest.
Thanks

Back