Brown & Sharpe Interchangeable Anvil Micrometer

The replies above say how to use the mic. You also have another option. Make your own anvils. I am doing that with a couple of Starrett mics that I bought on auction. I am used to carbide tipped mic's that are very common today. After researching Starret I found that tool steel was used in mic's up until fairly recent, and was even preferred by machinist's. I am using O1 Drill Rod. Make longer anvils to do 1-2 & 2-3" Then you have a "second" mic in that size. Believe me that there will be times you wished that you have a couple of mic's set to different sizes.
If you got a good set at a good price, then you are ahead. They may sit there for years before you use them, (some of mine stuff has) but when you need them you have them. Enjoy!!! Chewy
That’s pretty cool, I didn’t even think about making more anvils it sure would come in handy. I believe this set is a 3-6” so it would be nice to make a 0-1, 1-2, 2-3. Manly just because it sounds like a fun project.

It will be. Double check your thread sizes. I believe mine is 1/4-40. Have to look for the anvil, but I'm going to duplicate what I have already , just in Drill Rod.

Last edited:
Back