Brown & Sharpe Micromaster 618 Surface Grinder - $850 (hayward / castro valley, CA)

If I had the room in my shop and $1500, I would consider buying a new import surface grinder similar to that pictured below. You can find some online which at least color match (aesthetics are important to me) to Precision Matthews machines.

If Precision Matthews ever comes out with a surface grinder, I will make room in the shop and find $1500.

View attachment 316563
That looks like a decent machine, but the ones with the table/head-height handle(Y axis?) above the spindle always scare me. You end up reaching above all the moving parts and coolant spray!

Also, a 618 Micromaster is a whole 'nother beast. The automatic feed is so incredibly awesome that it makes surface grinding darn-near easy! I wouldn't want to have to deal with anything else!

I see Kieth Rucker working on his that is all manual, and it seems like you need 5 hands to run X, Y and Z at the same time! I have 1 lever to turn on auto feed, then I just adjust the head height and feed direction. The rest is done for me.

If I had the room in my shop and $1500, I would consider buying a new import surface grinder similar to that pictured below. You can find some online which at least color match (aesthetics are important to me) to Precision Matthews machines.

If Precision Matthews ever comes out with a surface grinder, I will make room in the shop and find $1500.

View attachment 316563
Unless you are only planning to do work with less than accurate cuts and with out worries about achieving a good surface finish, I would pass on that type of import SG. A used precision SG in good condition is a much better machine to use, and they are selling for low prices these days. I would only buy the import one pictured if surface finish is not important and limited space in the shop is a big issue. For myself, I would be happier with a smaller used T&C grinder instead of that SG, more versatile, could fit the same space, and should cost about the same or less for one with tooling. It would leave a similar surface finish.

Relax, this is not PM, no need for an apology. I was just teasing you. Those were valid observations. I had not noticed it had no chuck.

Right?! I thought it was just me regarding PM. What a bunch of turd bags over there. Don't even go on it anymore.

View attachment 316563

EriK...... I would hold out for an older one that is "real". I just bought a Bridgeport 815 for $500 which included a coolant pump and a Ceramax mag chuck. If you really want one, just keep an eye out. It took me nearly two years to find mine on an auction.

I'd buy it if I could (border closed, shipping too expensive, etc)

Back