Bs Coolant Freezing ?

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I would imagine that water soluble coolant will freeze in my normally unheated shop in the winter. Is it possible to add some sort of antifreeze to it? I'd mainly be concerned with damage to the pump and could remove it if I remember BUT. This is in a horizontal band saw.

Thanks
Aaron

Most water soluble coolants should have additives for freezing.

Agreed and yet adding some antifreeze gives you the added plus, and that's 'cause of the wetting agents in it to help transfer heat in a radiator. The amount YTBD.

I would not want to breath antifreeze. Also keep in mind that it is fatal to pets.

I just drain mine in the winter. If it's that cold I'm not going out and if I do have to do something I just use cutting oil and a brush. This is on my drillpress. I don't use coolant on my saws.

Antifreeze, Ethylene Glycol, is very nasty stuff. It will strip paint from your machines, leave a slimy residue, and its vapors will want to kill you!

Yes this is true BUT the fact that the amount and that it is in solution and your using flood instead of misting plus the rate of dilution it wont attack the paint. You'r good to go.

This stuff, SLUGGER, package says to thaw if frozen. Draining or removing to heated building would be a pain. I think I'll try adding some propylene glycol (less toxic) this fall, just enough to prevent hard freeze.

Thanks for the discussion and your time.
Aaron

Back