Build a hydraulic brake line flare tool?

My understanding is that OEM brake lines are of a "double flare" configuration. I have a double flare device but have never used it. Something my brother passed along after my last brake job. Many years past. . . I bring it up because the yoke is a complete;y different shape from a regular single flare tool. The one I have could very easily be refitted to a "C" clamp. The quoted price seems a little steep for such a simple contraption. Makes me wonder if inflation is that bad or if you are looking at the correct device.

My understanding is that OEM brake lines are of a "double flare" configuration. I have a double flare device but have never used it. Something my brother passed along after my last brake job. Many years past. . . I bring it up because the yoke is a complete;y different shape from a regular single flare tool. The one I have could very easily be refitted to a "C" clamp. The quoted price seems a little steep for such a simple contraption. Makes me wonder if inflation is that bad or if you are looking at the correct device.

That was my first reaction as well…. There are sets starting at around US$100.00

This one, for example, with more dies than the basic kit, is US$160.00

But if the intent is also to make it yourself, cool! Do keep us updated on the progress!

Very interesting project. I had the Mastercool unit. For the number of times I used it very pricey but sold it for nearly what I paid for it a few years later.
Sounds like a great project.

I've made many flare lines in the last 45 years and haven't worn out a tool yet. Though my tools are that old also (or older) and most likely better than the stuff you get now days.

If I didn't want to turn the T-handle, I guess I'd put a hex on it and use an electric ratchet.
Just my 2 cents and worth as much!
Aaron

I am watching this thread.

Years ago I had finally had enough of the "standard" type of tool you show above and I bought the Mastercool set.
What an amazing upgrade!

Immediately my flares went from an off-centre "wilted daisy" (a description from a friend, that fit perfectly) to something I am proud of, and that seals first time.

I know you said:

If you were local, I'd say come and take my set for a month or two.
....alternately, perhaps there is a way, it's gotta be cheaper than a full purchase to just ship it to you for use, right?
If you're interested just PM me here and I can find the shipping costs.
The less pieces of the kit you need the cheaper it should be.

Brian
That's a very generous offer, but shipping alone woudl be in the 200 range to get it here and ship it back. the problem isn't shipping costs in the US, it;s canada post charging crazy rates for everything these days. And that was BEFORE the inflation cash grab.....

That was my first reaction as well…. There are sets starting at around US$100.00

This one, for example, with more dies than the basic kit, is US$160.00

But if the intent is also to make it yourself, cool! Do keep us updated on the progress!
That's the difference between US and Canada. You guys get things a lot cheaper than you think you do. there's lots of reasons for this, but mostly it's exchange rate, shipping and of course, gouging. Also can't forget that the Federal Liberals seem to be on a headlong rush to tax everything to do with anything in Canada. I'm actually surprised that they haven't found a way yet to tax air and toilets.....and whatever they haven't taxed yet just means they have either laid a "license" or "fee" on it or figuring out how to. Fine Canadian tradition: outlaw it, tax it, or bring in "requirements" that make it impossible to afford it or do it "legally"....

Errr, sorry. Got a little political there.....

Even if you do find a retailer advertising in the 200-250 Cad range, they want to charge you another 155-250 shipping.

They get you coming or going here...

Last edited:
On a " related" note :)... check out

alloy's post (#7092) at​

$234 cdn free shipping for prime
Dang it, now *I* am going to buy one. I JUST needed that.

I redid a few vehicles before. Not everything, but majority of the lines. These days, steel lines are lined with copper inside and plastic coating outside. They are very soft and bendable. I also did one for a power steering tubing.

Lots of work involve getting the line straight up from the roll. That is very important.

The hand clamp cause cut lines on the line, and that is a potential rust areas.

To prevent slippage, I sometimes use a C clamp in addition to the built-in.

Turning is not hard, can be assisted with a small tube.

So with respect to the hydraulic, I like the clamping part.

For $100, I don't see any reason to make one. Maybe buy it, then build extra adapters, dies, etc.
Often, things like this, I get the job done with "inferior tool", then finish with my version that doesn't get used. I need the vehicles or house or whatever involved

Most of the work involved preparation, debur after cutting, making sure to bend at a correct angle and at correct length (and put the nut on before making the double flares )

I didn't have any leak the first time. Some youtube videos are very helpful.

Back