Building a 10mm

If you have all parts on hand, how many hours would it take dod you to build a custom 1911, including final assembly after parts come back from bluing or any other finish?

What kind of precision you get from a rest at 50 yards with the custom 1911s in 45 ACP match semi wadcutter? Is there sort standard precision the custom guys adhere to?

The length of time depends on what exactly is in the build. Custom stuff like checkering, and fabricating custom parts and/or extensively modifying parts takes longer. Once everything is fit and proven to function correctly, final assy time is minimal. For a semi-custom build I'd say anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, depending on the level of detail, and not counting trips to vendors and back. But this is just a SWAG. ;)

A friend showed up one time (long time ago) with all the stock parts for a basic GI type and I put that together in a afternoon or less. That included function testing and tuning 4 mags IIRC.

I've never built or had any interest in bullseye pistols, so I've not attempted something like that. I know that Les Baer has a sub 1.5" (?) guarantee, but he charges extra for it. Joe Chambers is known for building highly accurate bullseye pistols but I'm not familiar with what standards for accuracy he uses.

For my USPSA competitions, my own personal standard I used to strive for was a 1" group at 25 yards off a sand bag. I don't remember if I ever actually got down to a 1" group though.

I recently went through my old Kimber 45 and installed a new barrel bushing and tightened things up a bit. My test was a target at 10 yds., standing with a two-hand hold. With a cold pistol I put three rounds in the target (not rapid fire, but less than 20 seconds or so) and covered them with a nickel. That was good enough for me. :)

But remember, I'm no professional 'smith. I'm just a tinkerer... :D

Thank you for the response. Looks like you got some good results with your builds.

I have some friends with LB 45s for bullseye NRA and CMP competition, yikes lots of money.

I had to machine the frame for a Clark ramped barrel.

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

And then I silver soldered (stainless frame, stainless mag funnel) my roughed in mag funnel. Then I had to trim the new grip panels 0.300" shorter to allow for the mag funnel. This funnel will add no additional length to the grip of the 1911, unlike the one-piece main spring housings w/mag funnel.

IMG_0545.jpeg

As you can see in the following pic, the mag funnel's profile is roughed in pretty well, but there has to be a fair amount of hand fitting done to get it done right.

IMG_0546.jpeg

In the following two pics I'm calling the mag funnel profile done. Well, for now anyway (I'm always tinkering with stuff...). ;)

I also finally got the blending of the frame, the mainspring housing, and the grip safety to a good point. I really like how this turned out.

IMG_0547.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

A friend is letting me borrow his plunger tube staking tool, as I seem to have misplaced mine during the last move. To complete the frame I need to machine the magazine opening in the mag funnel and bevel it, install the plunger tube, checker the underside of the trigger guard at 40 lpi, and install the ignition components.

I then need to fit the lower lugs of the barrel, fit the extractor, ejector, firing pin stop, fit and checker the mag release button, and serrate the back of the slide at 40 lpi. So I have a fair bit of work to do to get this pistol up and running.

Yesterday, I decide to start checkering the underside of the trigger guard, but apparently my fingers hadn't healed enough yet from checkering that front strap...

IMG_0550.jpegIMG_0552.jpeg

Tomorrow I think I'll find something else to do besides checkering...

Last edited:
Finally got tired of the loose fitting barrel alignment rod that came with the Wilson barrel lug cutter I bought back in the 80s. So I made a better one. This gave me the opportunity to use some old Starrett v-blocks that I picked up recently.

IMG_0554.jpegIMG_0555.jpegIMG_0556.jpeg

I like them! :)

I envy people with your skills!
Ive built a couple of the evil black rifle/pistols, but they are a different category.
I will say though that your project is "inspiring" me to look into building one

I envy people with your skills!
Ive built a couple of the evil black rifle/pistols, but they are a different category.
I will say though that your project is "inspiring" me to look into building one

I've 'assembled' a black rifle, my LR-308, from a 80% lower. Not much to building one of those.

A 1911 is a bunch more complicated. Not impossible of course, but you need to learn certain skills like barrel fitting, hammer/sear fitting, safety fitting, etc., etc.. If you know someone nearby who is a pistolsmith or a good amateur (I mentored under/worked for a great pistolsmith) who can teach you the basics you'll ruin fewer parts during the learning process. :)

There are also some good books out there to help you understand the underlying theory/function of these things and how to repair/modify/build them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The first handgun that I ever owned was a Colt Delta Elite. The 10mm Auto seemed perfect to me. It was certainly hot enough!

Back