Building a 10mm

The first handgun that I ever owned was a Colt Delta Elite. The 10mm Auto seemed perfect to me. It was certainly hot enough!

The 1911 style handgun chambered in 10mm is one of my favorite handguns. It can be loaded at below 357 Magnum performance up to near 41 magnum performance. While I love the 1911, if the you-know-what hits the fan I'd like to have my 2011 as a backup to my LR-308. Some folks like the high-capacity 9s. I prefer something that hits a bit harder and still holds 15+1.

Really like your work!
Just started rounding up parts for a 10mm myself, Fusion 7" bull barrel, have a VytamenC 80% tactical rail in ss, and an aluminum 80% with the full length tactical dust cover in the mail. Really looking for a 80% with the full length tac dust cover in CS or SS, but not finding one. Think i'm going with the RIA 6" slide, the front radius cuts look like it matches up well with the long dust cover, available, and affordable.

Getting the new bench mill set up. No slide yet so haven't made any cuts. Did the last frame20200523_115144.jpg with the matrix slide cutter.

Deck, rail, and barrel seat jig with the VytamenC SS frame.

Have fun with that thing. Talking to a custom knife maker acquaintance up in Montana this morning and all our brainstorming has given me a few new ideas on what to do after getting the current build functional.

I have the ignition system fitted, as well as the barrel, now I need to concentrate on finishing the slide. Need to mill for the RMR (red dot) sight and co-witness sights, and cut some cocking serrations.

I'll probably start with my normal #22 spring as the RMR is not going to add that much to the reciprocating mass (slide in motion). Or I may drop down to a #20 as I'm using a stronger main spring and a flat firing pin stop, both of which We'll see. Would you like me to post which one I settle on?

You must account for the increase barrel + comp weight and the braking effect of the compensator. You may find 14 to 16 lb recoil spring with full loads. Don't expect a comp gun to cycle target loads.

The 1911 style handgun chambered in 10mm is one of my favorite handguns. It can be loaded at below 357 Magnum performance up to near 41 magnum performance. While I love the 1911, if the you-know-what hits the fan I'd like to have my 2011 as a backup to my LR-308. Some folks like the high-capacity 9s. I prefer something that hits a bit harder and still holds 15+1.
My very first concealed carry pistol was a glock subcompact in 10mm. The "bear-stopping power in [less than] the plam of your hand" felt empowering and sounded cool to talk about, but at the range I was paying handsomely to experience the destruction of my hand & wrist. I decided that if I were going to pay money for bodily abuse, there were more gratifying ways to go about it.

I would like to have a 10mm again, if in a 1911 frame, but no other way.

You must account for the increase barrel + comp weight and the braking effect of the compensator. You may find 14 to 16 lb recoil spring with full loads. Don't expect a comp gun to cycle target loads.

I was referring to the Jem 10mm I'm building, which is a 5" uncompensated 1911 when I was talking about a 20-22 lb. spring.

I shot compensated 38 Supers, Centimeter, 40S&W, and 10mm for decades in USPSA open class competitions. I remember using 16-18 lb. springs in 38 Supers, even lighter in my Steel Challenge pistols, but the 10mm even compensated needs a bit more spring. Typically. I'm talking about full power loads here, not the reduced power factor stuff used in competitions.

LOL, you can thank the euro crowd for our 165PF. Good to know you've been down the road.

DVCee ya

Back