Building a 24v dc power source

In the middle of making the transition from a very old W-XP to W-10. I got to un-learn just about everything I knew about the Internet. Been off-line for over a week, so far. Sorry 'bout that.

Now to answer your query: You got things headed in the right direction, just a little shy of the point.

There was a time that telephones were "land line" only. If you wanted to communicate across the air waves, you used a radio. The phone was electrical, the radio was electronic. A motor is electrical, specifically as a "magnetic" way to convert electrical energy into mechanical (rotation) energy. A generator is electrical, rotating magnetism. That old truck is electrical, the spark plug firing by the (collapsing) field of the coil, powered by a battery. Late model trucks (Ford V-10) use electronics to select which of 10 different coils to fire.

A radio, television, many (most) modern appliances, whatever, have active components, amplifiers, transistors, vacuum tubes, things of that nature. There are still vacuum tubes in use, though rare. Talk to any serious HAM, the ones that do code transmission. (I don't, BTW).

Look at www.hudsontelcom.com, for the article on "Home Shop Electrics". That's pure electrical. I cover magnetic theory to a mild extent, it's not too heavy. As in no math. There's no electronics there, strictly magnetic theory. There is a vast difference between electronics and electricity. The two are related only at the level of basic theory. While electricity is fairly easy (?) to grasp, electronics is much more difficult. But to understand one doesn't mean automatic comprehension of the other. In my day, grasping electricity, there were very few to grasp electronics. Today, it's the other way around. Most everybody grasps electronics, to grasp electricity is rare.

In its' simplist form, try to understand grounding against EMP. Or, perhaps arc welding. Old style, with a rod. Those are both pure electrical. As stated, I am (was) an EE, from way(!) back. I learned my craft on an old ship, WW-2 vintage. We had radar and radios, yes. But, to make the ship move took electricity, not electronics. The electronics people were "operations" division, electricians were snipes. (engineering division) Because we each saw the world from vastly different perspectives.

I know the above was about as clear as mud. Look up the web site, it'll help. Just enough to get started, true. But, a start.

Bill Hudson​

An adder, if I may.

Analogue is a smooth curve that can have an infinate number of points. Digital is fundamentally on and off. Only two points. Like a light switch, on and off. Digital actually predates analogue with many products. Such as telegraph with morse code. And the spark for an automotive engine.

In its' simplist form, take the number 31. This in the "people" form, base 10. Now, with the fingers on one hand (5), I can count in binary to 31. That is "machine" speak, such as your computer. A 5 bit word, like the ancient ASR-19 teletype. A purely electrical device. Just the timing of 5 bits within a tightly controlled timeframe. Think back to the "clacking" in an old timey newsroom. That was the teletype.

In 1984, when I was traveling for Wang Computers, there was a time an ASR-19 ran right alongside the current Wang "super-mini", before the IBM PC became the defacto standard. The teletype had two wires in an undersea cable. Out of ?who knows? total. Not very many, it was in the middle of nowhere in the South Pacific. Knowing the users, it probably was multiplexed, shared by several users. But, still electrical. Sensitive electrical, but electrical. The Telex people had an ASR-43, still electrical. But, a very nice typewriter as well as a paper tape reader. Electrical... ...

I suppose the basic question is whether the machine has a relay or a transistor (or thyristor). And if the relay is turned on by another relay or a low level electronic device.

Again, it's difficult to draw the line. I recently saw an ad for "large" motor training. The photo had a fellow holding a 1/4 HP motor in one hand. I thought it funny, having worked on the main hoist of a bridge crane with two 350 HP motors in shunt.(parallel) 700 HP total. That on a 310 ton bridge crane. Big enough to deadlift a small ship, in one lift.

On the wonders of modern technology, I had WinDoze XP. Now, I'm trying to relearn so I will have WinDoze 10. Ii's been a week and I still don't have my eMail back up. Driving me nuts. Makes me wish for the C/PM 16 bit days again. Where MS-DOS was copied from, by the way. Long before Winderz. Bill Gates was a hell of a salesman, but never that much of a computer man. I look to An Wang for that. Just a rant about "modern" technology. Forgive me, please.
Bill Hudson​

Back